music plays..... SCREEEECH....comp freezes....????!!!!!

Hey

Innocently lol, listening to music, out of the blue, a nasty, loud, screeching noise is heard, after 1 second, my comp jsut freezes. Has anyone ever had this? Or know how to fix it? Is it the music file? Or is it my computer?

XP pro
    1700+ default
    ecs k7s5a
    512 sdr

Registered
    that's a good question. have you tried playing other music files? do you have the most recent drivers for your mobo/soundcard?

hmmm, It's hapened with other files, but when i replay a bad file, it works fine the 2nd time, that's why i have a feeling it has something to do with my system... I dunno... It's my dad's comp, so he could have ****ed around with it without knowing what he did.....

Is it onboard or a sound card - if so what sound card is it? Is it possible to try a different sound card? Maybe that one is FUBAR or something? But definitely make sure you have the latest drivers for both, the motherboard and sound card.
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Registered
    also, try running windows update or upgrading your media player... good luck.

10 Year Badge
    old via boards have latency issues that cause audio/video to often freeze a computer. i bet something along that line is happening. and yes i see that its not a via board but it is something to consider