• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DURON 800 IS SOOOO FAST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

Ok, I did it. First try on booting. FSB 133 default multiplier of 8, Vcore 1.8, IO 3.6 First time I turn on the computer, put it to these settings, no burning in, nothing. I think this is the first night I have EVER run my computer without it ever crashing. THANK GOD FOR AMD. Oh yeah. 43C idle, 49C 2hr load. Using Alpha 6035 with Sunon fan, Arctic Silver. Going for 1.2 with same voltages after I unlock the chip.

P.S. Man, that Alpha is sure tight down on that Duron, almost as hard as getting a Coolermaster on there.

Me too; My 800 duron @ 8x133=1066mhz but the temp is cooler, CPU Idle temp 20-28C;
CPU temp under prime95 about 30-39C with cooler master dp5-6h51. Removed the sissy Stock fan and Replaced with a cheap 80x80 Sanyo Denky 29dba, 3000rpm, 36cfm... cheap unknown thermal grease $2 for 6 packs at fry's... Why worry about those hype, fancy... Alphas, Silver artic and the like... never like them though, KISS :) :) :)

Without some form of enhanced cooling, it is hard to break through the 1100 barrier with Durons. Achieving OCs in the 1000-1100 range is something to be proud of, all the same. Now, once you have found a working OC, like 8x133, try gradually backing off on the core and I/O voltages to squeeze as much performance out of as low a voltage setting as possible. That involves "see-sawing" those two settings a little bit at a time. That will get you temps as low as possible. It's time consuming, but worth the effort. Keep notes so you don't have to repeat something you've already tried. The most important thing is to have fun experimenting. This is, after all, a hobby.

Hoot

Hoot is absolutely right, I tried all kind of combinations on my 800 Duron 5x145, 5.5x145, 6x145, 6.5x145, 7x145 with max V core and V I/O. It is kind of scarry to keep V I/O at 3.9V. After many Trial and errors I finally come up with the happy ending, I hope :) :) :), which is 8x133= 1066mhz, 1.85 V core, 3.6 V I/O... Still trying to get the V core lower... But I don't think there is hope... The fun is.. Like Hoot said... Keep experimenting... What a great hobby. Actually, the 600 duron is a great chip but the 800 Duron is a safer bet. Because almost always any AMD CPU is able to get the extra 250 to 300 mhz out of the original sillicon. :) :) :)

Ummm.... one thing, how are you able to keep ur temps that low? How cold is your room? Well I've been having a really hard time cooling my Duron so just wondering.

Kenshin (Apr 22, 2001 03:03 a.m.):
Ummm.... one thing, how are you able to keep ur temps that low? How cold is your room? Well I've been having a really hard time cooling my Duron so just wondering.

I am not sure who your question is directed at. I am fortunate (most of the time) to live in a cool to cold climate. I carry a lot of "natural insulation" on me, so I like a cool computer room. As I write this, my room is 16.3C and my Tbird is 22.5C. I have a well ventilated case. It is currently at 21.4C. I hope that explains my temps.

Hoot

I am living In Sunnyvale, California, where the weather is, almost always, neither too cold nor too hot. And the name of my cooling game is 80x80 fans, all the way. I had an 80x80 Sanyo Denki on top of the cheap Cooler master HS to cool the CPU, another one in front sucks air in, another one in the middle of the back blows air out in additon of the 80x80 fan in the PSU. And the beauty is the noise, those Sanyo fans are only 29 DBA, kind of quiet. So, for me, the air circulation in the case if very crucial to keep the temp low. That is how I tried with every single case I had. :) :) :)

Back