• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 1400 is the best my 1.2 Ghz will do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

Joe

My 1.2 will not overclock any faster than 1400Mhz. I used it for about 2 weeks at 1450 but then all of a sudden I kept getting the Blue Screen of Death every time I boot up Windows 2000. So I tried Windows 98 SE and it get a fatal error.(Write). Is this a hardware problem, a Bios problem or is it just that my CPU is not meant to go any higher that 1400. It is very stable at 1400 (10 x 140 or 10.5 x 133, either way works). Should I go with the lower multiplier or the lower FSB.

No problem, that's about it for one of those little heat pumps on air cooling. Run it at the highest FSB (multiplier lowest) for best performance. In your case that's 10x140 MHz.

Was that a typo on your V I/O ? 2.5V is way too low for reliability. Did you mean 3.5V ? I'm running a KT7A and 1G/266 and right now it is purring along at 10x150 @ 1.88Vcore and 3.56Vi/o. I would expect a 1.2/266 to kick my butt. For goofing around, 10x150 is solid enough, but it will fail Prime95 in the first pass. For Prime95 stability, i run it at 10x145 1.85Vcore and 3.46Vi/o. I am running good air cooling and I attribute my success to keeping the CPU below 40C. As I type this, I have the fan on the HS turned down to inaudible and my cpu temp is 25C.
Heat is the Enemy. Keep an eye on him.

Hoot

Yes you are right it was a typo. I am running the default voltage. I could up it but if it is working fine at that voltage why not keep it that way.

Also, I have my case open and the computer is in front of an open window with a cool breeze blowing and a small portable fan blowing through the case. I average cpu temp is from 30 - 45 degrees Celsius. My system temp is in the 20 all the time.

Joe (Apr 22, 2001 12:32 a.m.):
Yes you are right it was a typo. I am running the default voltage. I could up it but if it is working fine at that voltage why not keep it that way.

Also, I have my case open and the computer is in front of an open window with a cool breeze blowing and a small portable fan blowing through the case. I average cpu temp is from 30 - 45 degrees Celsius. My system temp is in the 20 all the time.

well if its working fine why would u crash?

Guys I found out why I could not overclock more than 1400mhz. I did not have Service Pack one installed yet. That is also why Windows 98 would not boot up either because Windows 98 worked off 2000 bootloader. Sometimes things are just too simple. Anyway if anyone else asked why they can not go over 1400 with Win 2000 Sound like a pro and tell them to install Service Pack 1

Joe (Apr 21, 2001 03:39 p.m.):
My 1.2 will not overclock any faster than 1400Mhz. I used it for about 2 weeks at 1450 but then all of a sudden I kept getting the Blue Screen of Death every time I boot up Windows 2000. So I tried Windows 98 SE and it get a fatal error.(Write). Is this a hardware problem, a Bios problem or is it just that my CPU is not meant to go any higher that 1400. It is very stable at 1400 (10 x 140 or 10.5 x 133, either way works). Should I go with the lower multiplier or the lower FSB.

Back