• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difficulty unlocking Duron 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exx

Registered
System Specs:
Microstar K7T Turbo motherboard
AMD Duron 800
128 PC133 ram (xerox i believe..)

Hey, I attempted to unlock my duron multipliers today by using the 'pencil trick' and so far the results have been unsuccessful. I've tried a total of three times, each with a different pencil, all with identical results. So far the pencils I've used are (0.5mm Mechanical Pencil, 2HB Regular Pencil, Carpenter pencil .. 4 or 6B ?).

Here's what has occured each time I have attempted this. The system boots up fine, I go into bios to change the multiplier to (10x) and after saving / rebooting it reads it as 6x100 instead of 10x100. Choosing a multiplier of 9.5 = 550mhz... this exact thing has happened each time i've reconnected the bridges.

Any ideas? I am 110% sure that the bridges are not touching eachother.

Also worthy of mention that some multipliers (all above 10x) do not produce results. Using those just posts 800 (12.5x100 = 800) etc.. I also updated the bios on my board but that has not helped.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Matt.

Matt,

Interesting problem. Before you connected the L1 bridges, were you jumper free, or using the jumpers? If you were jumper free, then I would clean the lead off the L1's and reinstalled using the jumpers to set it up to 800 and see what it reports when you boot. Let me know.

Not quite sure why you're referring to jumpers. As far as I know this board does not have any jumpers to adjust multiplier/voltage but rather it is all in the bios. Did I miss something?

The L1 bridges on my cpu are clearly cut, so I never bothered to adjust the multipliers prior to connecting the bridges. Now that I think about it though, perhaps I should clean the graphite off and see if setting the multiplier to 10x will produce the same effect. In that case, I guess it'd be safe to assume that all three pencils I used are not very conductive (though I did test each for conductivity and all three passed).

I'd think though that if the bridges were locked, changing the multipliers would have absolutely no effect. So perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree :)

Well I haven't had the weird 600 mhz when i put it to 10x by 100 results, but I have had the pencil trick not unlock the CPU and have it still locked on me.

I found that the problem was that I was not pressing down hard enough when connecting the bridges. Once I pressed down harder with the pencil the CPU became unlocked :) I have unlocked about 10 CPU's since, and have never had a problem again!

Hope this helps!

Aaron

Well I've read a couple sites that deal with overclocking and most have strongly emphasized to not apply too much pressure or it is possible to actually damage the connection. Whether that is feasable or not I don't know, but I suppose I could apply a little more pressure than I've been doing previously and see if that works.

If not, I think I'm going to try a different method.. maybe I'm just no good with pencils ;)

Thanks for your help.

Oh btw. I always use 0.5 mm lead to unlock. Well I wouldn't use a TON of pressure, but like when i first started unlocking them, i was scared to press down hard, which I'm sure u are too since u read that at those websites. You don't want to press really hard, but give it a decent amount of pressure :)

Aaron

If you want to know how much graphite needs to be around the bridge have a look at my picture over there

<<<<<<<<

Aaron

Heheh yea I noticed that.. pretty tricky to get the graphite to build up so much though.. usually graphite doesn't write on graphite and stick :)

I'll try again though with your advice.. I'll let ya know how it goes

Ditch the pencil, I say. I tried it three or four times, tuff luck. I got the odd multipliers unlocked, though, meaning 5, 5.5, 7, 7.5 and so forth. After a day it started locking and posting with a lower multiplier. After that, I changed to silver paint. Unlocked permanently ever since. :)
Silver paint is expensive, around $15-$20 / 3 grams, I think. :(

Ditch the pencil. Go get a defogger repair kit. I used the pencil about 12 times because it kept not working after some time. I used the defogger kit and it's good for 3 months now.

Hi, I kinda have the same problem here. I connected the bridges on my 1GHZ AXIA chip. I used a conductive pen, but had no luck. I tried a couple of settings in bios, the machine boots fine, BUT IT UNDERCLOCKS on its own LOL.

I tried the 133/33 * 8 and I got 933.31 (which doesn't make sense because 133/33 * 8 should be 1064MHZ) ??. I also changed the to 133/33 * 8.5 and got 998.45??

What do you guys think? If the chip wasn't unlocked I wouldn't be able to change setting in bios would I?

Cheers

*updated* ..

I (Once again) attempted to unlock the cpu, this being the 6th time now with a 6th different pencil (4h this time) and as usual, the same damn results. Multipliers are not corresponding to those which are in the bios. It's a pattern really, 10.5x=6.5x, 10x=6x, 9.5x=5.5x etc.. you get the idea.

I think I'm just going to go pickup one of these defogger kits providing they aren't expensive..

On a somewhat different twist of things.. why is it that some people are able to achieve 133FSB with their durons yet I can only get around 112FSB stable before windows begins to choke.. System doesn't even consider posting (according to the onboard diagnostic LED's, it doesn't even reach the processor.. it just stops dead without even attempting to perform the early chipset initliaziation)

I'm assuming that it's not very likely that this board is responsible 'somehow' for these messed up multipliers... does anyone else here have a MSI K7T Turbo?

I've had problems with the same board, exx. I used to have an Aopen ak73 pro a m/b. I've got a Duron 750, which I unlocked on the Aopen, and had it running at 850 for a day...the the board died. The cpu is still good, and I've got it in the MSI K7T Turbo. Runs fine at default, but I can't unlock it at all. I don't get the weird multiplier problem you do, my system simply will not post at any multiplier other than 7.5x100. But I can use the Fuzzy Logic 3 to o/c to 833. Have you tried that? It's on the m/b driver disk. Maybe the problem isn't the bridges, just our m/b's.

I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard but, it sounds like it has the "KT133" chipset (as did all of the early socket "A" boards). This chipset is known to have problems with FSB speeds much over 107MHz, I've gotten one, on an A7V, as high as 110MHz. This chipset has been replaced by the newer "KT133A" chipset found on most of the second generation socket "A" boards. This second generation chipset has been documented to go as high as 150MHz+ by many here in this forum.

Good luck!

FRANK (Apr 23, 2001 09:30 p.m.):
I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard but, it sounds like it has the "KT133" chipset (as did all of the early socket "A" boards). This chipset is known to have problems with FSB speeds much over 107MHz, I've gotten one, on an A7V, as high as 110MHz. This chipset has been replaced by the newer "KT133A" chipset found on most of the second generation socket "A" boards. This second generation chipset has been documented to go as high as 150MHz+ by many here in this forum.

Good luck!

Actually.. the main reason i got this exact board is because it has the KT133A chipset, not KT133.

It has an onboard jumper that defaults the board to 133mhz fsb, but it just doesn't go anywhere :(

Well a little more information for myself. If you are having trouble with the pencil unlocking the bridges, then I would suggest trying the rear window defogger kit. I've used both on couple of DURON 600's with good results on each, (both over 1.1G), although I think that the next time I have the penciled one out, I'm going to use the "kit" after hearing of all the problems of others have had.

The real problem may be the motherboard as "Starfire" has alluded to, check their website, they may have a forum or FAQ page that address these issues.

GOOD LUCK!

There was a post somewhere here or an article about some mobo having jumpers and 133FSB and 100FSB being mixed up. I think it was Iwill, but I'm not sure. Try switching the jumper.

Have the same rig & had the same problem. The L1s are unlocked. Here's what to do. Get into the bios, set the mulitplier and hit F10 to save. Immediately after after hitting the return key to accept cut your power supply. Turn it on again and it will boot at the new speed. Watch the speed indicator as it boots if reads 500 or 550 or whatever cut the power again and then repower it. It's some kind of problem with the bios which apparantly will be fixed on the next update.

Tiger (Apr 24, 2001 03:53 p.m.):
Have the same rig & had the same problem. The L1s are unlocked. Here's what to do. Get into the bios, set the mulitplier and hit F10 to save. Immediately after after hitting the return key to accept cut your power supply. Turn it on again and it will boot at the new speed. Watch the speed indicator as it boots if reads 500 or 550 or whatever cut the power again and then repower it. It's some kind of problem with the bios which apparantly will be fixed on the next update.

Forever in your debt Tiger. :) Greatly appreciate the info... it wasn't long before I was just going to take an axe to it.

I can't seem to get 10x100 (2 beeps followed by a sequence of really annoying beeps) However, i can get 9.5x103 = 980 .. runs quite hot with this damn chrome orb though, 48'C idle :-D

Wait up you are getting ahead of yourself. Before you start trying 10x100 you must start understanding your system. Try lower combos. To get 10x100 you have to set your core volts to 1.75 and it's still not too stable but your temps will start getting high. But backoff a bit start getting a feeling for this and have a good look at your cooling. To really improve the cooling I suggest you mod your 52 Register using WPCREDIT. Here is the link http://www.viahardware.com/viahwlinks.shtm . Glad you won with the multiplier.

Back