• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning in ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toutin

Registered
I'd like to know what you guys think of this method. My cpu seems a little bit shy to get the Mhz I'd like to have so I'm considering that method .
Feel free to post your experiences, advices, failure or success, results (before and after). What kind of clock speed / voltage is good during burning in? ...

For my duron 700, would 700 @ 1.95V running prime and some other software would be good (do I need to lower to 600?)

Run it as close as you hope to be able to attain. If you want to go 8x133 @ 1.85Vcore, then burn it in at that rate. The only scientifically verified benefits from burning in are:

1) The increased heat and prolonged vibration from the fan help settle the heatsink base against the core and distribute the grease evenly. This can lower your resultant temps and enable you to OC a little better, maybe...

2) The rigorous workout will "weed out" the weak CPUs before the warranty expires.

That's it for confirmed improvement. The rest is anecdotal, at best.

Hoot

i agree with hoot.

i personally don't believe much in burning in.. it's a contentious issue, but there is no proof that it actually does anything for you processor... but by all means run your proc hard for a while.. dammit, i run mine hard 24/7... seti never stops! :) but run it hard as high as you can get... not much sense in running it hard at a low speed, imho.

After reading a page (I've found arnoud here) titled Conditionning the CPU
I tried to burn it in. I ran it full load @700 at 1.95 V for some hours and today, I tried 1.75 at 900 and it booted fine to win 98 where it crashed, I rebooted but BIOS checksum error. So, I put 1.85V and it seems to be stable at this point. So burning in might have improved my situation. I'll keep posting here to inform of my results. I'll try too to go further in clock speeds...

I can's explain the Burning in process but I tried many times and It worked for me. And Hey... It is free of charge, gentlemen... That is the beauty of it.

burning in works I've proved it on 5 chips it will get that last 10 -30 mhz ;D
I've used the same peripherals and case ...

the only thing that I cant say is this ... if you run your proc at a normal speed for several week will you get the same results ?

Back