• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my ADATA PC-4000 512MB STicks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
First pass testing on a budget DFI Springdale board that
has lots of voltage options (surprising for whats practically
and OEM board). It topped off at 230FSB.

No that's not a missprint.

In a panick I dropped the pair of 512MB sticks into my DFI
LAN Party Canterwood board, and I'm happy to say that
the memory runs up to 265FSB. Probably further because
this first generation of DFI Lan Party voltage adjustment
tops off at 2.7v and everyone knows that this ADATA really
needs a MINIMUM of 2.8 to really crank.

Right now I'm playing with 250FSB 1:1 and seeing how low
I can get the memory timings. These sticks sure don't like
low CAS settings!

Looks like the budget DFI board needs some more work on
its BIOS. Time for me to send another letter to DFI with my
results (sigh)

Looks like it is my board holding me back.

I've tested the first pair of 256MB sticks and sure enough,
I top off right at 265FSB.

I'm going to change to a different processor tomorrow and
see if that effects anything. If it doesn't then I'm simply limited
to 265FSB.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about trying this memory out
on my nForce2 motherboard just to see what it will do!

Yeah, I have a feeling I'd not be able to even get that much.

This memory is HIGH FSB, but NOT Low Latency.

thorilan said:
try it out anyways just to make sure. cause you have many people curious . is your nforce board an nf7-s rev2.0?

i have tested them on nforce 2 board

but the perople doesn't understand that ANY PC4000 is SLOWER than PC3500
at 280mhz fsb if i use PC4000 at 3-4-4-8 at 1:1 i get slower performance than PC3500 at 2-2-2-5 at 5:4, so ANY PC4000 IS USELESS AND SENSELESS for both P4 & AMD

but the people doens't understand that and waste their money on this stupìd memory marketing... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

theyre not wasting money on merketing because pc4000 gets higher fsb. maybe for amd, but not for intel dude..
theres a reason it has such suck timings, because it sacrificies those to acheive higher fsb speeds.
try it out yourself if you have some pc4000, you maybe surprised

cheers! :)

(edited after some brainwracking) oh yeah, btw my a-data came at 2.5 ,3,3, 6. not 3,4,4,8. you maybe partially right if some others come at those timings, however, you can always change them in the bios too , no?

Yeah Raven! Wasssup bro?? So you're mem tops out at 256fsb @ 2.7? My rig hit a wall at 266fsb with 1 gig of Adata pc4000 @2.8v whcih happens to be the most my mobo has in the v-dimm category. You've got me thinking now....I had thought it was my cpu topping out. It maybe my mem thats stopping me. My Max 3 will be here next tue. so then I will be able to give it as much as 3.2v on the v-dimm.....then we'll know for sure.

Krag, I'm 99% positive that its the lack of memory voltage
holding me back. Because at a 5:4 ratio with my TwinMos 3700
I can hit 285FSB with this same processor.

I'm also haveing problems running with all four memory slots
filled on my DFI board at even 250fSB. I have a feeling it's a DFI
issue, not RAM issue because each stick and pair of sticks
runs 265FSB easy.

Spade said:
theyre not wasting money on merketing because pc4000 gets higher fsb. maybe for amd, but not for intel dude..
theres a reason it has such suck timings, because it sacrificies those to acheive higher fsb speeds.
try it out yourself if you have some pc4000, you maybe surprised

cheers! :)

(edited after some brainwracking) oh yeah, btw my a-data came at 2.5 ,3,3, 6. not 3,4,4,8. you maybe partially right if some others come at those timings, however, you can always change them in the bios too , no?

hight fsb VS fast timings, what's the best?
i have see many and many people selling theyr a-data pc4000@295mhz in 1:1 3-4-4-8 because they say that using theyr corsair pc3500 or general pc3500 in 5:4 2-2-2-5 they get better performance

so what is better, 280mhz 3-4-4-8 1:1 or 224mhz 2-2-2-5 5:4???
i'm sure, 224 2-2-2-5 5:4 IS BEST

so, i repeat, PC4000 is senseless, is useless only for wasting money

Lonely Raven said:
Krag, I'm 99% positive that its the lack of memory voltage
holding me back. Because at a 5:4 ratio with my TwinMos 3700
I can hit 285FSB with this same processor.

I'm also haveing problems running with all four memory slots
filled on my DFI board at even 250fSB. I have a feeling it's a DFI
issue, not RAM issue because each stick and pair of sticks
runs 265FSB easy.

Is your mem/sandra score better with 4 sticks at the same speed than 2 sticks. The reason I ask is because I have read some posts that claim this is true. I hope I can get a little more out of mine by hitting it with more juice...but it will have to wait until Tue when my Max 3 comes.

Dirty_Punk said:

i have see many and many people selling theyr a-data pc4000@295mhz in 1:1 3-4-4-8 because they say that using theyr corsair pc3500 or general pc3500 in 5:4 2-2-2-5 they get better performance

Post a link....I'm sure the tighter timings are going to be better but I am not so sure tighter timings can surpass a 54mhz gap. Maybe,..... but post a link so we can all know for sure.:p

dirty punk, your simply a little off here mate.

thats fine, because its opinion. until i see some sandra scores to say otherwise, i wont believe this, plus the sticks DO NOT
run at 3, 4, 4, and 8. they run @ 2.5, 3, 3, & 6.
so when you compare them, its best to get your facts straight.
granted, they may not RUN at those timings at high fsb, but
until i see a pentium motherboard (like the overpriced max3)
that can get me over 2.8 vdimm, i can run them fine at those timings at a little lower speed. and YES i can also run them @
2, 2, 2, 5.
and another thing, how is 160.00$ for two 256 meg sticks
of pc4000
wasteful? id guess your corsairs just as pricey.

cheers

sandra doesn't shows memory REAL performance, infact in sandra PC4000 are the best, but under 3dmark or unreal tournament PC4000 lost the battle VS PC3500
want the numbers?
read this post
and see what macci says

and for second
today i bought 2 sticks of nameless memory sticks, with HI YIELD chip brand (!!!) and them can do 242mhz 2-2-2-5 3.15v under my NF7-S prime stable, so isn't so difficult to find good memory
ah, the price? i payd this memory 100€ fro 2 sticks of 256mb, so about 50€ less than 2 sticks of the slower A-Data PC4000 (and a-data PC4000 is the faster PC4000 memory stick in the market)

al the people are finding that ANY memory at 1:1 3-4-4-8 is SLOWER than ANY memory at 5:4 2-2-2-5, open your eyes and try the difference

only a few pc4000 can bench better than pc3500, but when this rare pc4000 can be set to 3-3-4-8 (or 2.5-3-4-5, the first and the last timigns change nothing in real performance )

I read your posted link and it looks great but being able to find memory with lower latency that will clock high (250-280fsb) will be a total crap shoot. Sure there's a whole market out thier saturated with LL type older memory but it will be very hard to find 2 sticks that will work together in dual channel that will clock high. It can be done Macci and others ahve shown that but who wants to continually spend money in pursuit of the "GOLDEN STICKS"?

Besides I agree with you...yes everyone knows that lower latency memory is better on a clock for clock scale. But...most LL mem won't get you those higher clocks that enable you to top out your processor.

Memory stops giving good performance yeilds after a certain point. The highest performance gain is your porcessor...now don't start flipping out on me read this article the our beloved editor Ed Strolio wrote. concerning the trade off of memory mhz & CPU mhz. I believe that Ed is right in this matter.

I personally favour higher cpu mhz than higher memory scores

Back