• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 800 & MSi K7T Turbo (FSB overclocking related)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exx

Registered
Seeing as how no matter how many times I try I can not seem to get the multipliers to work properly, I figure I may as well give FSB overclocking a shot.

As expected, problems have arisen.. and these diagnostic LED's on the board are just buggin me now :\ I have a stick of 128mb pc133 ram, but I can reach a max of about 116fsb with stability, anything greater and it won't post. Usually stops at "Decompressiong bios image to ram" after a reboot. Well anyway, I figure maybe that's just a strange fsb to be playing with so I decided to set the jumper on the board to default to 133bus (the jumper gives you the option of 100-132, and 133-160).. here's what occurs when I set it to 133fsb:

LED's all go RED which is the first step and means (System Power ON) but do not even twitch to the next test which is (Early Chipset Initialization). However, in certain situations (i'm currently unaware as to what provokes this) it displays 0100 which means (Failure to initialize keyboard controller).

Should I begin blaming the board? Or perhaps realize that maybe my chip just doesn't like 133fsb? Maybe I should just go crazy ;D

And yes, I have updated the bios.

That 133 jumper (I think its J7 or J17) is intended for 266MHz Athlon processors and you will have probs with it. Clear as per default and set your RAM as 133 in the BIOS. Its trying to run as a 266MHz FSB instead of 200.

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying that there's no hope in me achieving 133FSB ? As you know this board lets you go from 100-132 with the jumper in and 133-166 with the jumper out. 132 is not an FSB setting I'd ever try.. good bye AGP\PCI bus :p

I tried setting the cpu to 7.5x133 but typically all LED's went red and stayed red.

The new thunderbirds run on a 266 FSB (2x133) but the Duron is only designed to run on 200FSB. When you use the 266 FSB you probably cause the system to either freeze or crash. In order to oc using the FSB you should use the Fuzzy Logic to do it. Get the FL running and slowly increase your FSB one step at a time while watching your temps. The process is also affected by core voltage. There is a balance because the more you increase your core voltage the higher your temps are going to go. Read the various things about overclocking to get the idea. I am also new to this. Have just done my first stable 1G but temp is my concern. By the way if you are playing like this make sure you have a backup of your operating system. I run Windows in a separate partition. Happened to me last week. Crashed the system and corrupted Windows so badly had to re-install. Have a mirror image now in case it happens again.
Good luck

Y'know I was going to try fuzzylogic a few days ago but after I installed that latest beta bios release fuzzylogic just blue screens on me and doesn't run.

well have you tried to set it to 6x133=798 ?????

I would set the processor to 6x100 and boot.completly shut down move the jumper to 133-160 and boot up.

The problem is that for a split second, the CPU's default multiplier is used, ie 8x133=1064 - not likely!
What you need to do is lower the default multiplier to x7 (giving 7x133=933), see

Maybe increase the Vcore too.

I have a D750 which had the same problem on the Epox 8kta3 board and jumper to set 100/133FSB.
Now it runs at 6x150!

Back