• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocker's Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DIG

Registered
I am new to overclocking so I will appologize in advance for old topics. I just built a new system KT7A-Raid board, Duron 750, Alpha 6035, 256M PC-133 etc... I spent all night trying to get past 893Mhz! Here's what I have set FSB/PCI 101/33 + 17Mhz @ 1.650v. The temp is 35C at idle. The multiplier is locked at 7.5 because I haven't messed with the L1 yet as I want to go as high as possible before having to perform CPU surgery. Every time I try to bump it up to "plus 18Mhz" and increase the voltage to 1.70, it won't boot and I have to set it back to default. I can't see it being a heat problem. Am I missing something? Is the voltage not high enough? I know I can go past 1.70v, but isn't the limit (as stated by AMD's techdoc) 1.70v?

put it at 1.85v and letter rip! MIne kt7-RAID is at 1.85v and doing just fine. It's pretty hot however.

DIG (Apr 24, 2001 11:40 a.m.):
I am new to overclocking so I will appologize in advance for old topics. I just built a new system KT7A-Raid board, Duron 750, Alpha 6035, 256M PC-133 etc... I spent all night trying to get past 893Mhz! Here's what I have set FSB/PCI 101/33 + 17Mhz @ 1.650v. The temp is 35C at idle. The multiplier is locked at 7.5 because I haven't messed with the L1 yet as I want to go as high as possible before having to perform CPU surgery. Every time I try to bump it up to "plus 18Mhz" and increase the voltage to 1.70, it won't boot and I have to set it back to default. I can't see it being a heat problem. Am I missing something? Is the voltage not high enough? I know I can go past 1.70v, but isn't the limit (as stated by AMD's techdoc) 1.70v?

For one thing, I think that you may be running your memory asynchronously - as such you are trying to run your PC133 at greater than 150Mhz - this is where problems may be occuring.

Forget the 1.70v thing. That is the highest voltage that AMD manufacture them at. You are completley safe at 1.85 as rugby states without much extra text !

Consider that I run a Duron 700 at 1050Mhz at 2.07v with good air cooling (a CAK38)

wild_andy_c (Apr 24, 2001 12:13 p.m.):
DIG (Apr 24, 2001 11:40 a.m.):

For one thing, I think that you may be running your memory asynchronously - as such you are trying to run your PC133 at greater than 150Mhz - this is where problems may be occuring.

Forget the 1.70v thing. That is the highest voltage that AMD manufacture them at. You are completley safe at 1.85 as rugby states without much extra text !

Consider that I run a Duron 700 at 1050Mhz at 2.07v with good air cooling (a CAK38)

With regard to the differences in memory clock (133 vs 150), would it be better to set the FSB/PCI to 133/33 and unlock the multiplier?

Yes, try that at 1.85vcore and 3.6 IO Voltage. I run my Duron 800 @ 7.5x133 = 1ghz with 100% stability 38C with Alpha 6035.

The memory thing may be an issue... if you're worried about your idle temps, you might wanna read my post in the "AMD Motherboards" section about using WPCREDIT and WPCRSET to modify register 52's contents to reduce idle temps. Your idle temps are not that bad to begin with, however. I would also recommend unlocking your multiplier so you can go to 133 FSB and generally play around with other FSB and multiplier combinations. The Duron 750's are legendary for being dogs, though, so dont expect the world.

SickBoy

Problem may be hard disk. My hard disk (40GB IBM ATA100 DTLA)can't run when fsb is set over 110 MHz.
But when I switched fsb to 124 Mhz with fsb/pci divider set to 4 instead of 3... it runs ok.
My Duron 750 is capable of running fsb over 133 (I tried it up to 136 Mhz )... so try to switch your fsb to 133... and set multiplier at 6 (you must unlock L1)... 800 MHz should be good start point and it should boot without changing voltage. Then try to go higher.
My D750 can run 960 MHz @ 1.725V... so I hope it can go over 1 GHz at 1.8..1.85 V... I only need to upgrade cooling.

Sounds like it's time to do your L1 bridges. It is the "Red Badge of Courage" for being an OC'er.

Hoot

rugby (Apr 24, 2001 11:54 a.m.):
put it at 1.85v and letter rip! MIne kt7-RAID is at 1.85v and doing just fine. It's pretty hot however.

This type of advise concerns me. Overclocking is part science and part art. Anyone can jack the core voltage up to 1.85v and "let 'er rip". You should test the multiplier and FSB setting at default and gradually increase the core voltage, memory and other settings to find your sweet spot. Always keep an eye on your temperature readings....summer is coming and your ambient temperature will impact your overclock.

pik33 (Apr 25, 2001 03:41 a.m.):
Problem may be hard disk. My hard disk (40GB IBM ATA100 DTLA)can't run when fsb is set over 110 MHz.
But when I switched fsb to 124 Mhz with fsb/pci divider set to 4 instead of 3... it runs ok.
My Duron 750 is capable of running fsb over 133 (I tried it up to 136 Mhz )... so try to switch your fsb to 133... and set multiplier at 6 (you must unlock L1)... 800 MHz should be good start point and it should boot without changing voltage. Then try to go higher.
My D750 can run 960 MHz @ 1.725V... so I hope it can go over 1 GHz at 1.8..1.85 V... I only need to upgrade cooling.

-Original Poster-

I tried it again last night and the highest I could go was still 893 (118 * 7.5) FSB 101 + 17Mhz 1.65v.....which if you do the math comes out to 885Mhz......which is what it read a couple of times before coming up with 893. However when working with the voltage (KT7A -Raid) I noticed that the highest setting I could choose for the "v core" was 1.80v!!!!! How are you guys getting almost 2.0v??!! And another problem.....after going to get some burritos and letting it idle, I came back and it was locked-up at 38C. How can everyone operate under load at 45C????

The 2.0 voltage on the KT7A-Raid i believe is a modification that is done to the motherboard.
My Duron 800 @ 1000 mhz operates @ a CPU temp of 35 - 37 c ( system temp 25c ) loaded because I have a resonable cooling system
hsf (Global Win FOP 32)
Blue Orb On Graphics card
3 Drive Bay Coolers
five 120 mm fans running of a seperate psu in a full tower case

The full tower helped drop my temprature a little bit as it improved air flow around the case, as did carefull routing of the cables (dont buy those rounded drive cables, fold the normal ones its cheaper)

Take the sides of your case and see if the temprature drops, then you can see if the airflow in your case needs improving

Duron 800 @ 1000 with Global Win FOP 32
Abit KT7A-Raid Motherboard
512 mb RAM
Elsa Gforce with Blue Orb
Full Tower With 5 Case Fans (3 in 2 exhaust)

I currently have two DURON 600's at or over 1100MHz air coolled and no voltage mod. That being said I would recomend that you go to the "CPU DATABASE", found on the home page of this site, and see what others are getting with your combination.

My first impression is that you may need to increase your core voltage. If you go this route, keep an eye on your temps. Although the T-BIRDS / DURONS are known to "like" higher voltages, it will also mean higher temperatures.

Good Luck!

Back