• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleaving an ATX mobo power Connector.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fushyuguru

Anyone know how to get the pins out of an atx power connector? ITs not as simple as a molex connector which has little flares you can push in and pull the pins out.

Is there a tool for extraction (again, not the molex tool)?

I need to sleave a vapochill power connector which has a male and female atx connectors as well as smaller connectors which utilize the same style pins/connectors as those mentioned above. I dont want to cut/re-solder. Way too many wires to keep track of and re-solder.

Ok guys, I solved this one myself. Its not quite what I was looking for but I was desperate.

There is and extraction tool for these Mobo ATX Connectors. The connectors are called "Mini-Fit" Molex connectors and the extraction tool costs $20-25, even at digikey. I grabbed one at www.action-electronics.com for $23 because they stated "Also Fits ATX Motherboard Connectors", so I can get a refund if it doesnt.

Hope this helps out anyone wanting to sleave their own power supplies. :D

Good tip =p
When I did my first ATX sleeving, I desoldered them within the PSU. I had a LOT of fun putting them back in order. The next one I did, I used a pair of flat-electronics tweezers to press down the little hump/clip. Pulled them right out. It was a PITA (which I'm eating right now!) to remove, but popping them back in was pretty dang simple.

RangerJoe said:
SVC has a much nicer one for $14. it is what I picked up a week ago...just need time to take my computer apart

Yeah, I have a similar one. It doesnt work for atx mobo power connectors. Its for full sized molex's. The Mobo power connector uses Mini connectors with L-shaped stops on the bottom of square pins along with the pronged wings.

Thats why I needed something else.

Excellent, i was just looking at my atx connector last night. i'll check radio shack and see if they have one, if they dont im going to snap!
*twitch*

Nick Burns said:
What tool do you use to take the pins out of regular molex connectors? I don't really have to buy that $15 dollar tool to do it do I?

For regular molex's, just use a tiny flat blade screwdriver and depress the wings on the pin. Then just pull it out. You can buy the tool, but its just a convenience thing for molex's.

ATX connector, I tried for a while to get a pin out. No avail. So I bought the tool.

you can buy a set of those precision screw drivers.. theres like 6 or 7 of them ina set. The smallest one being a 1mm screwdriver. thats the tool i use for regular molex connectors. anything bigger then it is just too big for the female molex connections. WOrked out good cause it came in akit of electrical tools i needed to buy for school this year.

YIPPEE! it wont help w/ the atx connections though =( atleast idont think it will... *thinks*

time to give it atry when i get home. *glares at the atx connector* easy....EASY.....Thats my b!tch.

Back