• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hardcharger

I am looking to upgrade to an overclock friendly(cost effective) chip and board. I was lloking at T-Bird 1Ghz, is this a good choice? What speeds can i expect to acheive? I'm a newbie, and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

That is an excellent choice. I got the 1.0G/266 AXIA Tbird and it easily overclocks to 1450 Mhz (10x145) @ 1.85V. That';s 84W of heat to get rid of, so don't skimp on the cooling. A good CPU is only half the solution. You need a good motherboard also, not to mention good ram. Try as I may, I can not get 10x150 @ 1.90V stable without extreme cooling (water+pelt).
Not that is matters, since the difference between 1450 and 1500 Mhz can not be observed, except running benchmarks.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot, those were my next questions. I posted a question about motherboards, in the motherboard section. I was considering an IWILL KK266 VIA Apollo KT133A Chipset, 266MHz Bus, although I'm not sure on whether or not to go with PC133 or DDR Ram. Any insite?

Lately, i have heard less discouraging words about Iwill than Abit and the Iwill seems to support higher FSB speeds. I'd say go for it. Get a 256M stick of quality PC133CL2 ram, or PC150CL2 ram. I, personally, can not comment from experience about DDR ram. That technology is slowly stabilizing, but I'd wait on it a while longer if I was going to buy. I paid something like $99.00 for a 256M stick of PC150CL2.

Hoot

Beautiful. I'm going to go for it. I'm going to wait until the 30th to see if AMD's prices drop, even if just a little. Then I'm going to pick up the 1Ghz, and the IWILL, I was looking into a 256mb stick from crucial. What do you reccomend for cooling? I'd like to hit at least 1.4Ghz.

I recommend the Alpha PAL6035. My 1 Ghz AXIA on ABIT KT7A with the same heat sink hit 1.4 Ghz without any problem. Idle is 23C (ambient room temperature 20C). Full load is 42-43C.

hardcharger (Apr 26, 2001 01:09 p.m.):
Beautiful. I'm going to go for it. I'm going to wait until the 30th to see if AMD's prices drop, even if just a little. Then I'm going to pick up the 1Ghz, and the IWILL, I was looking into a 256mb stick from crucial. What do you reccomend for cooling? I'd like to hit at least 1.4Ghz.

The heat sink is important as is the fan. Look at the heat sink reviews performed by Joe (from the front page) and see what combinations work well.

i don`t think the IWILL board is a good choice.
i don`t think it will support the palimo or what ever newer tbird chip very well.
i think it only has 2phase power to the chip
whare as the KT7A has 3phase power.
the more phase power to the chip the more stable the chip will be.
i could be wrong so correct me if i`m ppl..

GOD...

The IwillKK266 R is a solid and stable board. I would recommend it to anyone. There are drawbacks to almost all the MOBO's out, but I would prefer Iwill Tech Support over most any other. The RMA program is one of the best and they are constantly upgrading the BIOS's.
I have yet to have conflicts w/ any of my hardware, unlike some other boards that are touchey about video, sound ,network and other cards.

Back