• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have to close the L1 bridges to OC even the newer AXIA Athlons ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neville

If so, are there any site that show you how to go about doing it ? I thought as long as you got a decent mobo, memory and heatsink/fan with an AXIA chip you should be ok.

I've never worked on an Athlon before.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Neville

Well some of the newer athlons come with the L1 bridges already closed, so do not. There a lots of sites that show you how to do it, but its really simple, just take a pencil and draw over the bridges, but don't let the lines connect. (see the picture to the left). You can overclock the new athlons without unlocking the multiplier though, you can up the FSB on your motherboard to overclock it as well.

Aaron

OK so if the vcore and fsb start maxing out I could then use the pencil trick ?

Would the same be said for Durons aswell ?

If i walk into RShack, what kind of pencil should i be asking for ?

Thanks

Neville (Apr 26, 2001 03:06 p.m.):
OK so if the vcore and fsb start maxing out I could then use the pencil trick ?

Would the same be said for Durons aswell ?

If i walk into RShack, what kind of pencil should i be asking for ?

Thanks

If you need to close the L1 bridges I recommend you get a conductive pen.

Closing the L1s is so easy, it's not usually mentioned as a "problem". I'd just go ahead and pencil them in, that way you've got more settings to play with and you avoid having to remove your CPU to connect them later. The less you have to replace the heatsink on an Athlon CPU, the better!

Thanks to everybody for your replies. I bit the bullet and went out and got myself the 1.33 AXIA athlon. I checked and its L1 bridges were already closed.

I haven't plucked up the courage to OC the chip yet but the feeling is brewing. I got the Abit KT7A Raid mobo aswell. Its my dream machine allright.

Thanks again

yep, you need only close the bridges if they have been cut. A conductive pen from the shack(tell them the thing used to draw solder traces they will know from that) or a rear window defogger repair kit are the best. Graphite's conductivity will wear out after a while, those two solution are much more permanent.

To my knowledge only the highest level chips (1.3/200 and 1.33/266) come with the bridges still closed.

IF you get a 1GHz/200MHz chip and have a stable mobo and components you may not need to close the bridges, and can still achieve a high overclock of the chip. It may go to 150MHz+ with a multiplier of 10 (default). However the fastest systems nowadays do not necessarily have the fastest chip only, but also a high FSB. That combination can only be optimized with an unlocked chip.

Yo

i personally havent seen a 1.1+ that didnt have the l1s unlocked, hope you arent the unlucky one to get one of them unlocked!

Back