• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BugBear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
I just got this e-mail from one of my friends, and I am not to sure what to tell him.

Tray,

How are you doing? That's about all the small talk I can do right now, I need HELP! My computer and the other two that are on the network have a viruz called BugBear. It's going by the name as Nisum.exe and it's attached itself to my Norton Internet Security and I can't delete it. I've tried running Norton Antivirus, about a million different downloads off the internet, McAfee, and I can't get to leave. Please write me back and help me. After I fix this I will send you a more friendly catch-up letter.

Thanks,
Brad

I know that he will not be too keen on formatting his drive, but I am not sure what else to tell him. Would this thing show up in his registry...I told him to poke around in there but to be careful of what he toys with. Any help on this would be appreciated, I am not to sure what other measures to take. Thanks guys. ;)

you could also load this drive into another computer and use that computer to scan the HD. If the virus is not on the boot disk It cannot load and protect itself from AV scanners

Another option, (failing the removal tool?) is to pop in the Norton Internet Security CD, and boot off of that. It should boot up, download definitions, and allow you to scan your harddrive outside of windows, where the virus is not running.

That tool apparently did not work for him, but he did format his drive and get rid of it. How new is this virus...I've never heard of it before.

Back