• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Leak!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
win 98 se

i lag all the time (even in diablo II its not internet lag its my computer p4 2.2 ghz 256 ddr over 30 gigs to spare. my mouse looks like a slide show most of the time and it skips like 50 frames. sometimes i can move my mouse from the top to the bottum of my screen and it literally is only 3-5 frames

The way to fix it is to switch to a different OS, preferably either one that's part of the NT line, or a *nix OS. Memory leaks occur when a programmer gets sloppy about memory usage in the program he's writing.

Most likely what you're experiencing isn't a memory leak, though. Memory leaks usually show up as instability and graphcs corruption in Win95/98/ME after it's been running for a while (a day or more).

Last edited:
not yet, i have lots of information i dont want lost (and im too lazy to burn it on a disk)

yea, i have 3 machines (this is the only one with 98) two run xp already but last week they got hit by that worm virus so im glad i still had my old trustee 98se up

Re: FYI

zPacKRat said:
Windows 9x is a memory leak....
time to move on:D

You mean you didn't get the patch that Microsoft released via Windows Update in July?

Aqrhine_tg_xXx said:
yea, i have 3 machines (this is the only one with 98) two run xp already but last week they got hit by that worm virus so im glad i still had my old trustee 98se up

You mean you didn't get the patch that Microsoft released against this security vulnerability in July?

nope, i was gone for most of july, and when i got back i didnt do much with those pc's. i guess i should have though, maybe then they would'nt have crashed. ohh well they were needin a good formattin too

the most god aweful OS ever made was and is winME. no patch will fix it, it's too far screwed up. i have 256mb on my winME system and start up with 73% free most of the time. then i load AIM and MSN messenger and it's down to 30%. dare i load kazaa lite? that will get me in the single digits and closing the program only give back 50% of what it originally took. i know its a crappy system, i'm using it while waiting for me system with the infinitely better OS: winXP pro:D
how did i use winME for a year and a half?:eek:

most definately get winXP, pro if u can.

The 98se memory leak is easy to fix as is the 512Mb limit.

Just download and install Cacheman 5.50

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?...=2&PHPSESSID=a4fb73a532737b1be16dddf96086e033

screenshot.gif

1. Private/Educational user

The registration fee for Cacheman is $10. Since most users cannot afford $10, Cacheman has no disabled features and no time limit. If you really cannot afford the shareware fee you are allowed to use Cacheman as Freeware. All updates for registered users will be free even if we should be forced to change the license to Shareware only with the next major release.

Last edited:
Back