• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick one...what is the deal with AXIA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kal123

Registered
I'm about to buy a 1.33/266FSB chip, but I'm reading about AXIA all over the place. What does it mean, and is there a way to know before buying one if it's an AXIA chip?

Thanks!

axia just denotes the batch code of the processor. axia thunderbirds are the latest batch of processors to be produced, and are much better overclockers than previous batches. that's why everyone wants one. buy a 1ghz axia and you're pretty much guaranteed to get it up to 1400-1500-ish without much hassle.

as to finding out whether you're going to get one; some people advertise them as such. otherwise, you'll have to ask the vendor to check for you, but thsi is unreliable. other than that, if it's an online order, it's just luck.

hope you get one! :)

Thanks proze! I've asked this question in a bunch of other posts, but alas nobody answered. ;)

2 cents worth on this one....
AXIA, as staed is a code, now.. i have not looked closely at any Athlon chips, BUT...
i have a Duron, a few K6-2's, 2 celerys, and a intel pentium. one thing is certain, intel don't make it as easy as AMD.. LOL IMHO
anyways, all my AMD's are Clearly marked with codes and it's easy to tell especially on a Duron which code it is. like i said, tho... the Athlons may be different, i kinda doubt it but i dunno.
one tip tho, if you go to a puter show, and tell the guy you want an AXIA ... you just gave him every reason to jack up the price... "Ohhh, the "AXIA" type, yeeeeaaa, i have them.... they cost more tho, cuz they're better"
try to get the guy to let you examine his tray, i've had such luck myself. then you need not tell him specifics, just that you'd like to see what codes are available.
anyways, i hope this helps ya... happy hunting!

luck is the only way you are going to get one unless you go somewhere that you can actually look at each chip (not likely unless a computer fair)- the axia is the stepping code, looks like azia are floating around- bottom line, the higher the letters are in the alphabet, supposedly the better the chip

Back