• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some good reading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I notice they don't show the procedure for doing this once the mobo is in the case. That is when people do the most damage. You simply can not get adequate access to the clip on the PSU side of the socket in a mid-tower and in the case of my KT7A, it's darn hard to get past all those capacitors on the other side.

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 28, 2001 01:21 p.m.):
I notice they don't show the procedure for doing this once the mobo is in the case. That is when people do the most damage. You simply can not get adequate access to the clip on the PSU side of the socket in a mid-tower and in the case of my KT7A, it's darn hard to get past all those capacitors on the other side.

Hoot

i just bought a full size tower about a month ago and the clearence between the psu and mb are the same as my mid was

the only advantage to this new case is that the mb tray fold`s out on hinges

you should never never never never change your hsf while the mb is in the case

That's a good heads up, Kat.

I have all slide-out motherboard trays..cards and all, so for me, this is never an issue. I too would recommend not messing with the heatsink/CPU interface with the motherboard in the case.

Anytime you violate the interface between the HSF and die..this is the most critial time for your CPU's life, so I try and make it clear to people that they should buy 'the' cooler that they're going to use for overclocking right up front. Thus not having to expose their CPU to the action which is most likely to shorten its lifespan.

I use the evil Global-Win retaining clips for my cooling needs..I'm impatiently awaiting something new to arrive on the scene(Millenium Thermal's all copper sink for example) prior to upgrading.

I have found that involving two people during this critical time may be of some value, as I have 'R&Red' my sinks many times, with nary a dead Duron, or T-bird.

T

Back