• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! GlobalWin clip failure, power outage during bios flash. Need opinions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EtOH

Well, its been a real bad day. I picked up a AXIA 1 GHz, 200 fsb, Week 12 Athlon yesterday and brought it home to play with.

I swapped out the motherboards in my computer and my fiancees computer, putting her Duron 700 in my Abit KT7 and putting my shiny new AXIA in her KT7A-Raid.

I had no problems with her computer at all, so on to my new AXIA and a little fun.

I prepared my new CPU with some Arctic Silver and popped on my trusty FOP38 and went into my office to boot her up.

Problem 1
Upon the initial boot with my new cpu I had the case open, watching to make sure all is well. I here a little pop as the notorious FOP38 clip came off and watched my heatsink come loose from the CPU. I pull the power as fast as humanly possible, smell ozone, and I am worried my new AXIA has died at the hands of a cr@ppy clip design.

Back to the bench to take a look. No visible burning, no cracking, no crunched core. Fix the clip and try again.

Now I am back on track. Everything boots fine, I can change the multiplier (so the pencil trick worked again!) and I watch as the core temperature hovers around the 100 deg F mark. Not bad at default voltage etc.

Problem 2
I am feeling a little bit better about things so I try to boot into windows at defualt speed (1GHz, 200fsb) and low and behold I can't get into windows. I remember when setting this machine up for my fiancee that AGP4x wouldn't work for her GeForceMX, and that is exactly what I have it set for. I guess I am gonna flash the bios and see what happens.

BAM! Midway through the bios flash and the power blips. This can't be good.

Cross my fingers and boot it again, no video, no memory count, no hard drive activity, nothing. Fans turn on etc, but I am not getting anything.

Question 1
Now I have to debate between 2 problems and I am looking for a little help from you fiends out there. Its obvious the bios is trashed and needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what the shipping revision is on the KT7A-Raid? I was trying to flash it to WZ, but I am going to need to know the shipping version when I order a new bios chip.

I know about the swapping of chips trick and could probrably do that with the bios out of the KT7 since its the same bios really, but I am unwilling to take that risk. My fiancees computer is her business so I can't risk hers. Gonna have to order a new bios for the KT7A-Raid. Any information you could give me on this would rock as well.

Question 2
What do you guys think is the probrability of my AXIA surviving the numerous setbacks today? Fate seemed to enjoy cr@pping on me today, not my best outing with a new CPU.

EtOH

well this post seems to be chuck full of mistakes ;D

1.. FOP38
2..Back to the bench to take a look. No visible burning, no cracking, no crunched core. ......." Fix the clip and try again."
3..thunderstorm?BAM! Midway through the bios flash and the power blips. This can't be good
4...(so the pencil trick worked again!)
5...flash the bios ... i have seven machine`s up and running and not one has had a bios flash
6...ever hear of a battery back up
7... if you would have done a little home work instead of trying to impress your girl....all "wood" be good now ;D ;D ;D ;D

kat -

Thanks for the constructive advice there :)

1: Other than the clip popping this once the FOP38 has been a great cooler.
2: Once I reset the clip everything was fine.
3: No thunderstorm, completely clear outside. Not sure why but my entire neighborhood blipped off the power grid for about 1 second. Not good timing.
4: I love the pencil trick for those bridges. I could change the multiplier so it worked well.
5: I flashed the bios to get some additional stability and memory options, as well as stabilize the Highpoint Raid controller.
6: I have a battery backup, unfortunately it is at work on a server right now. Not doing something stupid in a thunderstorm or anything.
7: Research: Believe me I have done all kinds of research on this one. Just a stroke of bad luck.

As far as impressing my girl, she could care less about any of this I assure you!

On a side note can you tell me what bios version your KT7A is running? I believe its WW but I am not sure.

Thanks,

EtOH

The bios flash failure can be resolved by contacting a local computer service store in your area and they should be able to reflash your bios (for a nominal fee of course). If this isn't a valid option buying a new bios chip can be the way to go. (The old one probably isn't toast...just brain dead. Unless the lightning surge got to the computer instead of just interupting the power.)

I am gonna get it reflashed, there was no lightning. Just a wierd power blip.

EtOH (Apr 28, 2001 02:29 p.m.):
Question 1
Now I have to debate between 2 problems and I am looking for a little help from you fiends out there. Its obvious the bios is trashed and needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what the shipping revision is on the KT7A-Raid? I was trying to flash it to WZ, but I am going to need to know the shipping version when I order a new bios chip.

Here is what I got from my KT7A-Raid bios:
02/14/2001-8363-686B-6A6LMA19C-YH

YH revision on the Bios

Question 2
What do you guys think is the probrability of my AXIA surviving the numerous setbacks today? Fate seemed to enjoy cr@pping on me today, not my best outing with a new CPU.

EtOH
It probably did survive as long as it didnt overheat too much. If it booted after the heatsink thing then it's probably OK.

Thanks for the info! that is what I needed.

I have a feeling my processors are ok, can't wait for the hedgehog to get in and fire them back up.

Time to order a new bios chip :)

EtOH

Bios easy problem

Try www.ioss.com.tw
there you can fine something very interesting, BIOS SAVIOR.
Of cuorse you will need another motherboard to program the new chip, but you can upgrade the bios without any problem with this practical solution.
It´s a second chip for the bios so you will get a double bios in your mobo.
Have a look and enjoy flashing your bios

yeah, i had to flash my bios to put in my cpu once, scared the hell out of me too, i was fine, my friend was not so fortunate, he messed up. There is one motherboard out there that has two bios chips on it by two different companies, i want to say msi, but somehow i think that is wrong. Anyways, I know your clip probs with the fop38, i broke mine :-( and i had another and it was broken by a friend using it as a temp on his comp. Then I tried a different clip and chipped the core and now my duron will not work :(. And yet, i got another globalwin clip(although i went cheap and got the volcano II for my celey, should be good for that chip, better than the retail pos that is on there now).

dunno260 (Apr 29, 2001 12:57 a.m.):
yeah, i had to flash my bios to put in my cpu once, scared the hell out of me too, i was fine, my friend was not so fortunate, he messed up. There is one motherboard out there that has two bios chips on it by two different companies, i want to say msi, but somehow i think that is wrong. Anyways, I know your clip probs with the fop38, i broke mine :-( and i had another and it was broken by a friend using it as a temp on his comp. Then I tried a different clip and chipped the core and now my duron will not work :(. And yet, i got another globalwin clip(although i went cheap and got the volcano II for my celey, should be good for that chip, better than the retail pos that is on there now).

it's gigabyte that have the dual bios thingies...

Hedgehog and some Arctic Silver in thanks to Plycon
New Bios in thanks to Bad Flash.com

Finally got my system back up. Put my questionable AXIA in and the first 3 boots are as follows:

1: 10x100 1.75V - Stable
2: 10x133 1.75V - Stable
3: 10x140 1.75V - Stable

Gonna let it run all night under load and see what I can get out of it tomorrow. On a side note the Hedgehog is keeping the temp hovering around 100F.

EtOH

gigabyte sounds right, aopne might too, i just had read a review before and I thought that was a very nifty little option, not enough to keep me from getting a top board though.

Back