• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

from stock to SK7, only moderate drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

I had the retail cooling on my barton, and my temps were 39C idle 48C load. I bought an SK7 and SF2 combo, and I used the potentiometer to adjust the fan to an acceptable noise level -- one just so that I can barely hear it above my 6 case fans. My new temps are in my sig. Is that an acceptable drop, or should I try reapplying my AS3?

Try reapplying and reseating the heatsink. Is there decent case airflow and is it possible the sk7 may need to be lapped?
IS the sf2 on thermal setting, full blast or reo?
what are you using to check the temps? comunurse or mobo?

Lord_Zoltan said:
Try reapplying and reseating the heatsink. Is there decent case airflow and is it possible the sk7 may need to be lapped?
IS the sf2 on thermal setting, full blast or reo?
what are you using to check the temps? comunurse or mobo?

The airflow is good. 2 intake at bottom front, side intake, 2 rear exhaust and top blowhole, with cables out of the way. I think I'm gonna try reseating the sink. I hope it doesn't need to be lapped. I ran my fingernail over it and couldn't hear anything, so I don't think it does. SF2 is on rheostat, about 1/3 from the bottom. I'm getting my temps from the mobo using MBM5. Strangely, MBM won't tell me what RPM the SF2 is running at.

pummer said:
SF2 is on rheostat, about 1/3 from the bottom. I'm getting my temps from the mobo using MBM5. Strangely, MBM won't tell me what RPM the SF2 is running at.
MBM reads RPM from the motherboard. If your SF2 is connected to a rheostat, MBM doesn't even know it's there.

I don't know what exact room temp is, my thermostat (which could be off) says 72F (I think it's reading a little warm, it's nice and cool here). I have two other temp sensors on the mobo, not exactly sure where they are. But at the moment, with some stuff running, my CPU is at 38c, my one sensor (i think down towards the bottom of the case) is also at 38c, and the other one (I think it's at the northbridge) reads 47c.

Restorer said:

MBM reads RPM from the motherboard. If your SF2 is connected to a rheostat, MBM doesn't even know it's there.

that's what I figured. However, I thought it might be different since I used the included rheostat instead of another fan controller.

Oh... and you have the 3-pin connector hooked up to the motherboard? That's strange, it should tell you the RPM in that case.

check your sensors.

is the fan spinning decently fast, because i mean if its not at around 3000rpms it might be the reason for high temps.

Your getting garbage readings. Set up your own sensors. Put one on the bottom of the cpu. That should be regarded as 5-10 degrees Celsius low.

Where can I get a good temp sensor that's cheap and easy to install?

I was reading the MBM fan sensors wrong. The fan has been spinning at 2900 rpm. I'll turn it up now to 4600 and see what happens. This is a bit loud though.

EDIT: with the fan at this speed, and the cpu doing the same amount of work as before, temps are at 33c vs 38 before.

Last edited:
The SK7 scales very much according to fan speed. It's the nature of its dense fin design. You're gonna have to crank her up to get better performance.

thanks brennan. anyway, i think the AS3 has cured now because the temps are 32c with the fan spinning @ 2800rpm

Another thing to consider is that your idle temp is not going to drop a lot with the SK-7 and TT SF II. You will see a bigger difference in your load temp, where the CPU is producing a lot of heat that must be dissipated.

Back