best brand of CDR media?

I know there might not be much of a difference in cdr's... (at least that's what i think)... i found out the TDK "certified plus" cdr's suck... music i burned and tried to play on the car cd player won't even work cause the cd player can't read it. But I pop in my black cdr music cd and it works. beginning to think there MAY be a difference in CDR media!

I usually buy the cheapest spindle pack from Best Buy. But now there are brands to consider..

which brands do you guys prefer and why? price? quality? color? just cause of the name?etc..
    AMD XP 1700+ @ 2.31ghz - 11x210, 1.675v
    512mb OCZ PC3200 rev.2 @ 2-2-3-8
    SLK-800A - TT smartfan2
    Epox 8RDA+ rev.1.1
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate Barracuda 7200, 120gb
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8, 40gb
    Pioneer slot-load DVD
    Plextor PX-708A
    -------------

Fortron 530W

Re: best brand of CDR media?

Originally posted by -N-
    I know there might not be much of a difference in cdr's... (at least that's what i think)... i found out the TDK "certified plus" cdr's suck... music i burned and tried to play on the car cd player won't even work cause the cd player can't read it. But I pop in my black cdr music cd and it works. beginning to think there MAY be a difference in CDR media!

I usually buy the cheapest spindle pack from Best Buy. But now there are brands to consider..

which brands do you guys prefer and why? price? quality? color? just cause of the name?etc..
    I perssonally think TDK makes one of the best blanks.

I like Fuji. And this week you can get 90 at CompUSA for$24-18=$6!

These are the fabled Taiyo Yuden.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Originally posted by cursor

These are the fabled Taiyo Yuden.
    Taiyo Yuden.

That's the key to a good CDr.

If you're getting the Fuji versions make sure you get the "Made in Japan" versions though. I hear tell that the "Made in Taiwan" versions are not TY's.

Registered
    ive been using both maxell and memorex in both of my burners with good results.

Inactive Pokémon Moderator JigPu's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    I've used Fuji and am currently on a 50 pack of Memorex, and neither have been bad disks. My Fuji seemed to have the outer edges of the disk start disintegrating after a while (been about a year I guess now), but I must admit that at our house, we're pretty rough on CDs.

JigPu
    .... ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    .... Intel Core i5 2500 ........................ 4 thread ...... 3300 MHz ......... -0.125 V
    2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti ............................... 1 GiB ....... 830 MHz ...... 2004 MHz
    .... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
    .... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
    .... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
    .... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
    "GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.

Red Raccoon Dojo ThePerfectCore's Avatar
    I once got a spindle of Plextor CD-Rs (free, fortunately) that wouldn't even burn properly. Rated for 40x, and burning at 4x still caused data corruption. After going through about a half-dozen of them, I threw the whole thing in a nearby pond and went back to Maxwell.

ive used memorex, imation, and khypermedia, and havent made one coaster.

TDK for CD-Rs and Memorex for high speed CD-RWs. The WORST brand I have ever seen was "cdrmarket.com" high speed CD-RWs. My burner (TDK velocd 24/10/40B) couldn't write anything onto them at all. On my friends (pioneer something) burner they worked but my burner couldn't even read them. I also have a DVD burner but I have never tried burning anything with it except CD-R/RWs when the firmware got corrupted on my TDK burner. My TDK would spit out anydisk I put into it. Rebooting didn't help. But I downloaded the firmware update for it and flashed it and instantly the drive acted normal, ever since.

10 Year Badge
    i only use fujifilm for cd-r and dvd-r. i used to be hardcore memorex but after all of my burned cds started to flake and chip i decided to change camps.

fuji hasn't let me down yet

Registered
    I like Phillips they are nice but have tried many others; TDK, Memorex, Maxell, Imation, and Fujis. I had problems with my TDKs but it was due to the burner not liking them.

made in Japan Fuji's

no one seems to think so... but i ALWAYS get Traxdata cd-r's

always perfect for me... never a coaster and nothing gets damaged at all..

been using them forever
    E8400, 4gb ram, 8800gt

KODAK GOLD
    but too bad that they don't have it anymore.

Taiyo Yuden is good and inexpensive, otherwise MITSUI

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    I personally like TDK and Sony CDRs for use in my Lite-On. I've had no trouble with either brand.
    Is this a holdup?
    It's a science experiment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Heatware

You have to keep the burn speed down (under about 16x) if you want flawless recording. Then it won't really matter which kind of media you get.