• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power problems with 750 Duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akumu X

Here we go...

My friend (same one from post 3 days ago) has a cable modem. I went to install the drivers (on a floppy disk) and it wouldn't read the floppy disk. So I thought that maybe this newly set up system had the floppy ribbon upside down (it happened to me) so I shut it down and then open the case to switch the floppy ribbon. Switch the floppy ribbon and go to turn the computer back on and it won't turn back on. I've tried just about everything...different wall outlet taking out certain devices and trying to start. Nothing. The power sup is 300watts which should be enough for a 750 Duron. Is there anything I might be missed or is the PSU gone or what?

Thanks in advance.

PS When the computer doesn't turn on the lights for both CD drives blink and the A: drive's light is on as well as the cable adapter. So I guess that means it's getting power...Anyways...HELP!! Mobo is PC Chips M810LR-8

If the floppy's indicator light is on constantly, that's an indication that you have the ribbon cable reversed.

As far as not reading the floppy, check to see if it hasn't been disabled in the BIOS.

Post more information about the system, motherboard, CPU etc. as well as where you're running it at. Overclocked?

thanks but till the computer's power wants to come on all of that is moot.

the mobo is listed above PC Chips MR810LR or something 750 Duron no o/c ing
160mb ram
10gb hdd
and as is stated above...the damn thing won't turn ON.
the lights are on (literally) but nobody is home so to speek.
help?

come on...
SOMEONE has got to know SOMETHING about what's going on here?
or is this THAT much of a stumper??

try unplugging the flopppy drive........turn on your comp and if it does work then turn it off and plug the ribbon in again

i tried that...
not to be smart but i tried and that 20x and just about anything else i can think, however i was thinking any of you might think of something....out of the ordinary that maybe i haven't thought of. I've

taken all the power out but one of the devices
play with all of the ribbons in just about any form
switched to different outlets

i dunno...

but i do know i try around for about 4 hours before i post here so's to keep from looking like a moron and having it be something simple (though it probably is anyway)

Does it beep at all? Does it sound like it's trying to boot(drives spinning up, cr-roms doing there thing) or do the lights just come on and there you are? I had a problem booting on my old FIC AZ11E board, no POST like yours, I took it out, cleaned off every part I could find, slapped it back in and all was good. I hadn't even opened the case, it just stopped. Have you tried the proc in another mobo, and the mobo with a different proc? Are you sure that the mobo isn't grounding out somewhere?

Fiz

i will try the CPU in a different mobo and vice vera.
But what do you mean CPU grounding out somewhere?

Thanks

It wasn't that clear but I understand that the mobo is PC-Chips? If I got that right then that is probably your problem. I have worked a lot with the 598LMR socket 7 board and I got to tell you that they have got to be one of the most unreliable boards made. They hold the record with me. I have installed 8 and had a 90% failure rate. What you can try is something that worked on the 598. When you switch the power on tap the insert key. If you have no luck take it back and get an Abit or MSI. Save yourself a LOT of pain. It will pay you in the end. It maybe cheap now but it is expensive in the long run.

i would take it back if it were my board...
i'm posting on behalf of my friend.
I currently have a peice of **** Giga-byte so I can dig crappy mobo's.
Anyways the problem was resolved...it was indeed the PSU
went to CompUSA and got a new one (300w) and every thing blazes on that computer now.

Glad you solved the problem!

Next time connect the ATX pin 14 to the pin 3 to see if the fans and stuff turn on! great way to test dead mobo's. also you can use any of the other gounds(black wires on most PS).

Back