• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finishing a WU on a different box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RideGuy

On the weekend I lost my internet (not a huge suprise for anyone on Toronto Cable). During the network outage Rig2 ran out of work, while Rig1 was chugging along on 2 WUs (using HT).

Is there any problems with taking one of the WUs from Rig1 and finishing it on Rig2?

Thanks in advanced.
RideGuy

I have a USB key chain that I use to fold on a PC at work and I have finished it here at home on my rig when it was almost done and I had to come home so I don't see why not.

Actually, this won't work. FAH uses 2048 bit encryption in the registry to verify each WU sent and received. They do this for our security and it has a side affect of not allowing rig 1 to complete a WU then transfer the work to rig 2 to send the work. It may say it sends but the work will be unusable to Stanford as the security keys are not right.

nikhsub1 said:
Actually, this won't work. FAH uses 2048 bit encryption in the registry to verify each WU sent and received. They do this for our security and it has a side affect of not allowing rig 1 to complete a WU then transfer the work to rig 2 to send the work. It may say it sends but the work will be unusable to Stanford as the security keys are not right.

OK, What if I catch the WU before Rig2 sends it and put it back on Rig1? I could change the config file so that it asks me before it sends.

RideGuy said:

OK, What if I catch the WU before Rig2 sends it and put it back on Rig1? I could change the config file so that it asks me before it sends.
In theory, that should work... although i am not certain as to how the proggie deals with the registry. It may just get the key when it gets the WU, then only checked on sending or, it may check the key periodically.

Back