• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant 100% cpu load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Draconian

Hi!
I have a not too good Gigabyte 7ZX board with a Thunderbird 850Mhz cpu installed and i've recently started getting strange problems with it. After a random number of hours my cpu goes up to 100% full load (as indicated by Tweak ME and System Resource Monitor), even though the computer is just sitting there idle, hardly doing a thing. I first noticed this one day when i returned to my computer and attempted to load a program. The mouse cursor just sat there thinking for 5 seconds then went back to normal with no sign of the opened progam anywhere although it was listed in the CTRL-ALT-DEL box. The only way i can get programs to open is to reboot.
I have been using the Easytune soft overclock program to increase the FSB to 110Mhz-(for 935Mhz) but i stopped using it as soon as the cpu starting to take a thrashing. The cpu temp never goes above 37°c when running games or benchmarks yet it steadily increases to 45°c once the cpu load locks at 100%.
I have tried both Windows 98 and ME to no avail. All drivers are current and so is the Bios. Is there any program out there that can tell me exactly what's using the processor at the time when it starts to overload?

Cheers all.

Never heard bout that-but from first instinct it sounds like you may be getting hacked and someone may be using your computer to do their tasks!! IF you CTRL+ALT+DEL task manager says you have programs open, and you cannot see ANY of them on the desktop, the ?SOMETHING? is running those progs-no reason-software OR hardware should post fake running appz, OR you cpu should not stay at 100% load unless you are runniing multiple appz, or running a REALLY STRESSFULL appz-like a 3D game-be careful

Happened to me too! I am running a kk266-r with win2k server sp1 but it was before sp1 and only happened once. I also can't get temps in MBM5????

I have an idea now. It may be something to do with a built in cooling function? which makes the cpu appear as having a 100% cpu load even when doing nothing. I think this may be so because programs such as Cpuidle tend to make your cpu appear as though it's running at 100% load when running idle. I noticed that when playing mp3's and videos, the cpu load drops by at least half then shoots back up when it becomes idle again. However, one problem with this idea is the fact that the cpu gets hotter even though it should be getting cooler, plus there's still the fact that programs won't open.

Draconian (May 02, 2001 05:43 p.m.):
I have an idea now. It may be something to do with a built in cooling function? which makes the cpu appear as having a 100% cpu load even when doing nothing. I think this may be so because programs such as Cpuidle tend to make your cpu appear as though it's running at 100% load when running idle. I noticed that when playing mp3's and videos, the cpu load drops by at least half then shoots back up when it becomes idle again. However, one problem with this idea is the fact that the cpu gets hotter even though it should be getting cooler, plus there's still the fact that programs won't open.

I glad you rethought that at the end, as loading the CPU would be counterproductive to cooling. Who knows maybe some disgruntled programmer thought that would be a nice way to rid the world of overclockers.

There is a program called "enditall" that I use to shutdown all tasks. I don't have a link to it 'cause I'm at work now. May find it at tweakfiles.com. Also the front page has a link in the utilities section for a program called "adaware" that snoops out and removes any hidden program that may be running. At least it's worth a try before doing a format and re-installation.
Good luck!

Back