• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core voltage question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I have an Asus A7V133 mobo and a retail box version of T-bird 950 mhz. Global Win WBK38 HSF. Seven total fans. Crucial CAS2 SDRAM. 400 Watt AMD approved power supply. Chip Temp under 46 C, case temp under 28C. I can overclock it to 1050 by using the multiplier. All attempts to tweak it higher using various FSB frequencies and multipliers result in an unstable system.

So, I tried adjusting the core voltage from 1.77 to 1.8, 1.85, 1.75, 1.7. All of these resulted in instability even when I backed off to 950 mhz with FSB 100 and multiplier 9.5.

My question is....is this a typical occurrence? Do I just have a mediocre CPU chip? What other adjustments can I make?

Well, you got some good stuff there. generally, raising the core voltage will stabalize it. Have you tried going down to 1.65 volts and see what that does? Some people get stability from going lower. Also, the 46c temp you posted, is that at idle or load? You might be able to stabalize it by getting the CPU temp lower, either with a better HSF or going to water cooling and maybe even a pelt. You may just have a tempermental chip. Mines the same way.

Being a firm believer in 'Burning-in', this procerdure may help you achieve a higher clockspeed as well. Or less voltage for a given clockspeed..ideally both..[img="[URL]http://forums.overclockers.ws/forums/Public/Images/Default/E07.gif[/URL]"]

Theory and practice can be found here: http://people.freenet.de/s.urfer/conditioning.htm Lower your multiplier as low as you can and maintain stability, and raise the applied voltage to the processor as much as possible, while never allowing your reported temperatures to exceed 45C..40C is better.

T

I have a system based on the same equipment that you have, and it's been very good to me. I can't explain the multiplier issue that you have but you may want to try your FSB AT 133. If you decide to go that route, then you should check this article;

This article explains a problem in some cases when you try to run a 100MHz FSB chip at 133. Some of these chips have a problem booting with the 133FSB and a high multiplier. The BIOS looks to the factory default settings on the chip to initiate the POST. sometimes the chip can't take this combination of a high multiplier with a 133FSB and will fail to boot.

Good Luck! I hope this helps.

Thanks for all your feedback. I wish I had known about the "burn-in" technique before. I think the CPU chip is too old to benefit. I have been useing it for about 3 months. As to the lucky guy who is overclocking his 600 Duron to 1050, I think the Durons are more suitable to overclocking. My "other" computer using an ASUS A7V, CAS 3 generic ram, and the HSF that came with the 600 Duron is now running at 1000 in one night's tweaking. It makes it with 100 FSB, 1.85 core voltage, and 10x multiplier. Getting it to go as high as he did might be a trick (maybe the Tom's Hardware voltage mod?). I have heard that the higher clock speed T-birds don't have as much head room and are harder to overclock. Is this true?

Back