• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HUGE file move....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
I need help figuring out how to move a 1.6GB file from a laptop to a desktop that will not take too much time. I was hoping that I could zip it up until it was small enough to fit on a CDRW but it will not compress any further than this. I need to get this done today, and any options are welcome. Thanks for any insight!

you could transfer the file via the network if they both have network cards and you have a cable handy, or you could zip it up into two pieces and then span it over two discs and reassemble it on the destination computer.

100 Mbit LAN connection shouldn't take too long. I can move around 600MB CD images on my lan in about 15 min and I'm only running at 10Mbit due to my crusty hub.

You can use winzip to span it onto as many CD's as it takes, or you could hook them both up on a network and send the file(s) across there. or even direct cable connection, with usb(1/2) or firewire.

I guess that's a good choice as long as you don't actually have 10/100mbit network connection between the two computers...in that case it's just stupid to use winrar.

Cheesy Peas said:
You can use winzip to span it onto as many CD's as it takes, or you could hook them both up on a network and send the file(s) across there. or even direct cable connection, with usb(1/2) or firewire.

btw USB 1(.1) connection is VERY slow... 12mbit or no.. it just gets slow once took 3.4 hours to move a 250meg file between two comps... as a little side note :)

firewire is ok and USB 2 is semi-decent

I love to use maxsplitter . It is a pretty neat program for breaking big files apart. You can tell it how big you want the parts to be and it breaks them apart or you you tell it how many parts you want. It includes a batch file with that you can send along with all the parts so that anyone can open it back up even if they don't have the program.

USB 2.0 Rocks! I do large transters all the time, and the largest one was 112GB (my old 120 to my new 160 I dont rember how long it took but it was real quick) I did it on a loop 2.0 to 2.0 so the system was not bogged down at all

hkgonra said:
I love to use maxsplitter . It is a pretty neat program for breaking big files apart. You can tell it how big you want the parts to be and it breaks them apart or you you tell it how many parts you want. It includes a batch file with that you can send along with all the parts so that anyone can open it back up even if they don't have the program.

I ended up with a file like that once. when the batch file reconstructed the files it turned out to be embedded with a trojan and was shredded by NAV...lol

and yes USB2 rocks compared to 1, many times over. but going across the network or burning cds is proly the fastest still. (after adding in setup time, such as creating connections, getting cable and all that)

(though this is all after thought since its been done ;) )

USB 2.0 is pretty darn fast....but again ...network 10/100mbit can't go wrong. (preferable 100mbit :p )

Back