• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acceptable temps for Athlon 1.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kryogenitor

STOCK - 133 x 9.0 = 1201
After 1 hour of F@H: CPU - 43°c Case - 28°c

OC - 133 x 10.0 = 1335 Ambient 29.0°c
After 1 hour of F@H: CPU - 44°c Case - 27°c

OC - 133 x 10.5 = 1402 Ambient: 29.1°c
After 1 hour of F@H: CPU - 45°c Case - 28°c

OC - 133 x 11.0 = BSOD

Idle for all settings was 28°c for both cpu and case.

Those readings within acceptable operating parameters? They seem a little warm but its getting hot around here and with only a 2° difference, i think ill take the extra 200MHz. Whats your opinion though?

For 75W of heat, I'd say you are doing real good. If your mobo allows, drop back a mult or two and bump that FSB up. Might be interesting.

Hoot

TT120- Just a typical FOP-32 with the stock fan, lapped it myself with ASII as the thermal compound.
Hoot - Sounds good, I'll let ya know the outcome. Right now its running pretty good at 140 x 10.0 so ill see how high i can go.

Around what load temp should i say "hmm thats no good" and scale it back a bit? Theres no way in hell im going to follow AMD's critical temp of 95°c, thats just insanity.

10x140 is a good setting. I'd expect you to be able to hit 10x145, as that is what I can get my 1.0/266 up to.
Heat will be your main foe. You will find you can OC more stably at lower vcore voltages if you could get that temp down to around 35-40C, but that would require a more powerful HSF. The FOP-32 does a very respectible job for the price. Even better with a more powerful fan. I bet that CAK-38 is a nice performer, if you don't mind the fan. I honestly don't know why GlobalWin doesn't re-engineer them for 80mm fans as stock items.

Hoot

for a fop32, your temps are bloody good. real temps of 35c-40c under that kind of load are only for really good heatsinks such as the swiftechs, or for watercooling. a temp of 45c isn't going to affect your stability. if you want better temps, you can add a delta 38cfm fan to your fop32 to turn it into a fop38, but if that's as high as your temps get, then i wouldn't worry.

yeah, well, I found out amd cpus don't do well with no heatsink on them. :*(
The darn lug cracked and later broke off and my heatsink fell off and my cpu fried.

man, those are some great temps for that heatsink and fan. Nothing to worry about, and despite what spode says, he is by FAR the exception(but that is really cool!), likke TT120 said, anything under 50 is fine.

mrpcman (May 06, 2001 06:27 p.m.):
yeah, well, I found out amd cpus don't do well with no heatsink on them. :*(
The darn lug cracked and later broke off and my heatsink fell off and my cpu fried.
That happend to me as well, I got hold of AMD and told them what happend and they said, 'no problem' they gave an RMA # and are gonna send me another one.

Heres the preliminary results of all the measurements in .xls format. I didn't impose the most stringent of testing methods as i dont really have the facilities for that but i did the best i could to keep everything similar. These look about right? Im gonna go through every multiplier with those 6 FSB settings, then see if i can go higher but id rather not throw the FSB to far out of whack or anomalies a plenty shall present themselves.

Back