• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200 vs 266 bused chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gish

Just a real quick question. Is there any advantage of getting a 200 FSB chip or a 266 FSB chip? As I am getting ready to upgrade my rig next week. Just to note, I do want to OC.

Thanks,
TheGish

well you are lucky!!! You are not limited to just overclock with the FSB. Actually, It won't really matter which you get if you are going to unlock the chip and overclock, as most people just go to a lower multiplier and higher bus speed as this yields the fastest system. For instance

12*100mhz bus = 1.2 ghz
9* 133mhz buss = 1.2 ghz

The second option will yield a much faster system due to the higher bus speed. Equate 200mhz with 100mhz and 266 with 133 mhz. So if you are overclocking, get whatever you want to, if not, then get a 266 chip. Hope that makes sense.

make sure your mobo works with both or as you will see in todays post you will be running at different speeds and will need to close the L1's.

I'm not sure if I am repeating what el typed or not.

There are certain motherboards, typically those with a combination of dipswitches and Bios settings, rather than all settings in the BIOS or all 'onboard' that have been known to have difficulty booting at 133Mhz..this is due to the processor initializing at it's default speed and being unable to boot at the higher processor speed.

This site, and Anandtech have some articles that you find helpful in choosing both a motherboard and processor. Without further adieu:

I can't find Ed's article that simplifies the issue by avoiding it altogether...the way to do that is to simply buy a model 'C' T-bird..a 266Mhz model. Because of my motherbords, that is the route that I took.

T

Back