• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A poblem with AMD 1GHZ only geting 750 MHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rick dogg

Man I feel really dumb! I have a 1 GHZ/266 PGA AMD|T-BIRD processor S/N AXIA0110TPEW95196440529. I put the new processor in a new ASUS 7V133/550/WOA-UAY and I set the Bios to default and only get 750 MHZ reading on Sondra! To say the least I am get kind of ticked the whole thing.
I plan on over clocking but I wanted to start out at default.
I think the problem is my FSB is not set to 266. My motherboard
Supports 266 FSB and my CPU supports it so way are my defaults
Wrong. .

My KT7A-RAID defalt is a 100 Mhz fsb, really threw me for a loop when I was getting 1000 MHz from a locked 1333 MHz chip. I am unfamiliar with the Asus mobo so I recomend you read the manual and check your settings. If you do not figure it out then tell us what your FSB and multiplyer are set at.

Change your FSB Frequency to 133 and your clock mutiplier to 7.5. You must select user defined settings.

Try starting off right away with 1.75vcore and 9 or 10x133. Those 1G/266 AXIA tbirds will do 1333 Mhz rather effortlessly, assuming you have an adequate cooling solution. Above 1333, they generally tend to need copious increases in vcore with ensuing heat increases. That just from my experience.

Hoot

Are the L1's closed? your chip is a 7.5x133 and you have the fsb at 100. bump it up to 133 and you will be on your way. I believe that all 266fsb have the L1's closed so I would go ahead and push the multiplier up .5 at a time and always have a good reboot in between no posts!!! once you reach your limit push the fsb up about 5 or so until it don't work no more!
NOT ALL 266 are closed!!! 8)

Not so. My 1.0G/266 AXIA came with the L1 bridges all open. That may be true for the 1.3/200 and possibly 1.33/266 though.

Hoot

My FSB is 202 sandra reading and my multipler is 7.5 and procssesor is freq is at 100 what now?

I have absolutely no problem with closing my L1 bridges been looking around this forum for months and finely got my computer going before I start overcooking for the first time I wanted to start with a solid base line. I have a 1GHZ T-BIRD 266 AMD processor and an ASUS 7V133A that will support 266 FSB I’m using raid 0 and 1 bank of generic ram and a ATI ALL-IN-ONE video board. Why cant I use the processor at 1Gig with out any mods if I paid for it I should have received it. I am getting 750 MHZ and a 202 FSB with the default settings. WTF !!!! Please help me understand this I was thinking of trying ASUS support but Ive read that they don’t right back. Thanks for the help in advance.

Rick dogg (May 07, 2001 11:19 a.m.):
My FSB is 202 sandra reading and my multipler is 7.5 and procssesor is freq is at 100 what now?

This is a little simplified:
Multiplier * frequency = Processor speed
You are locked at 7.5 for multiplier if your L1s are open
7.5 * 100 = 750 MHz
If you adjust your frequency to 133 then you get:
7.5 * 133 = 997.5 MHz or the GHz you should have. A
As I said in my first post I did the same thing, all you have to do is figure out how to change your frequency in the BIOS.

Thank you all for the great help. and Ridenow Thank you for solving my problem I am new and your advice help get to 1gig now the real fun begins

Back