• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switched from Duron 700 to Athlon 1000, showing wrong clockspeed (A7V)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaggz123

Hi

I just recently took my Duron 700 off my ASUS A7V mainboard, and intalled an Athlon 1GHZ. It only recognizes the cpu as an Athlon 750mhz. I have tried jumper free mode and setting up the jumpers manually. I have the newest BIOS. Anyone know a solution?

whta has happened is that you've bought a 1ghz 266mhz fsb athlon! this chip has a frontside bus of 133mhz and a multiplier of 7.5, not 100mhz and 10 like the 200mhz fsb chip. 10*100=7.5*133=1000. however, your motherboard is based on the kt133 chipset which does not have 266mhz fsb support, so it's booting the cpu at 7.5*100.

the solution to this is to unlock your multiplier and set the multiplier higher, using the dipswitches on the motherboard (see the manul for details). search the forum for more help on how to do this... there are literally hundreds of posts about this. you could always buy a new motherboard; one using the kt133a chipset which has 266mhz fsb support. that way you'd get nice, high fsbs, and that's always good!

Thanks for the advice guys. I am a little strapped for cash right now. Do you think I would kill the chip if I ran it on my A7V @ 133mhz fsb for a little while? I don't really mind the performance hit if there is one..If not, is it ok to keep it at 750mhz? Underclocking.. hehe. does that kill the chip? Thanks.

the a7v won't run at a fsb of 133.. it only supports 100mhz, and won't go much higher. most people seem to max out at about 105mhz, give or take a few mhz. you can run your memory at 133mhz, but your proc would still be at 100mhz... you can run it at 750.. it won't do it any harm. but why not unlock it and run it at 10*100 or higher. you can still overclock with the multiplier on a kt133 board.

I also have tbird1 gig/266 on A7V, after doing the pencil trick just to play until the new mobo is purchased I got 840 thats ok I just have to wait 2 more weeks for new mobo but I cant leave it stock(yuck)**** what HSF are you using? may I suggest the global-win 38 cak. I built a puter for this guy and I tried MY pep oin this MID tower and got temps 63 at idle then I bought the global HOLY **** the temps under full load 46c ( SiSoft burn in & watched DVD at the same time ) that chip was AXIA 1.333 stock everything (it was for someone else not mine to play with just build for $4.95 thats what the cocksucker payed me. its my own fault I told him "pay what you think is fair" I put in about 30 hrs. tweaking ,downloading new drivers ,bios, firmware youknow set him up real good sorry for the rant I know it is in the wrong place but I just got rolling oh BTW thats $.1065 /per hour so I am going to round up, so I made 11cents /per hour yeehaa what a hobbie

proze (May 08, 2001 03:07 a.m.):
the a7v won't run at a fsb of 133.. it only supports 100mhz, and won't go much higher. most people seem to max out at about 105mhz, give or take a few mhz. you can run your memory at 133mhz, but your proc would still be at 100mhz... you can run it at 750.. it won't do it any harm. but why not unlock it and run it at 10*100 or higher. you can still overclock with the multiplier on a kt133 board.

thats what I would do, wil save you some money. Your system won't be quite as fast as it would be with the 133fsb, but it will be a lot faster than what you have now.

thats what I would do, wil save you some money. Your system won't be quite as fast as it would be with the 133fsb, but it will be a lot faster than what you have now.

alright then. so i just scribble the pencil over the L1 bridges and i'm good to go, eh? =)

shaggz123 (May 08, 2001 11:11 p.m.):

alright then. so i just scribble the pencil over the L1 bridges and i'm good to go, eh? =)

Just make sure you get enough graphite over the bridges, as it tends to wear out. A defogger kit or silverpaint is better, but permanent.

Back