• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp on duron 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grainee

hi there,

i get a little nervous with my new duron 800, got a stock cooler ("red cooler") and running it at standard speed... so at first i went into BIOS and checked out my temperatures ( got a msi k7t turbo ) and oooops ?? my cpu temp is about 48 degrees !!! now i'm sure cooler is mounted well and everythings ok so i don't know why it's running so hot at idle... after 3dmark i found about 52 degrees !!!! well i'm new with these AMD stuff so i'm not sure if this is too warm or my case is simply too small ( voltage supply is right next to my cpu...) i think cooler is all right ( not best but it's dedicated for gig-cpu ) by the way i lowered core voltage to 1.59V cause pcdoctor reports corevoltage at 1.69V and that's way to big i guess -> so please tell me your temps and help me that i can sleep well again !!

What is your CPU tempratures at idle ?
Whats the system temprature at ?

Yea the heat on my Duron 800 is a area that used to concern me as it appears to run hotter than any previous CPU I have had (all Intels) I personally find that my Durons temperature although it seemed high at first doesn't fluctuate much usually being around 30 - 32 c on idle and 34 - 36 c loaded with 1.85v core voltage and 3.50 I/O voltage . Hitting a CPU temp of 52c though would worry me although I'm not sure of what the danger point is. I would suggest removing the sides of your case and seeing how far (if any) the temprature drops as the heat may be due to the airflow constraints of your case rather than a bad hsf (although I wouldnt overclock with the standard hsf)

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5) ( CPU @ 36 c loaded .. System @ 25 c Loaded )
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff)
Elsa Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live
Hard Drive Cooler
Full Tower with 5 (120mm ) case fans

What heatsink grease do you have under the HSF? If there's a pad, scrape it off and go to radio shack at the very least and get some new grease to put under it. If you've got about 10-15 bucks burning a hole in your pocket you could go get some arctic silver grease and slap that on there. You might want to invest in a higher quality HSF in the long run. My Duron 650 used to run at 65oC with no thermal grease after I accidently scraped off the grease applying my coolermaster heatsink.

Likewise, my 600 Duron, non-overclocked runs stable at 1.325V on the core. That's only 17W of heat. I can run it that way without a fan on my HS and it'll run Prime95 Torture at 39C. For what that's worth... ;D
Hoot

Back