• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frequent lockups... Reason?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodean

I've added my 3Com 905C-TX NIC and started to get lockups... No matter the CPU speed, locks even @10x100. Tried lowering the MX core to 195, still locks. Going to drop it to 190 in 15 minutes (lunch break)... Or is it the NIC? My system WAS stable @ current speeds (CPU-8, tho) few weeks ago...

I doubt it's the tbird, as I got it yesterday finally running 8MHz faster than before, error free that is (so far...)

This problem might be caused by the rise in the ambient temps, so I'd be interested if anyone else has started getting lockups too... Especially with a oc'd vid.card.

kat (May 09, 2001 09:58 p.m.):
try moving your nic to a different slot 2 or 3 ;D

i'm inclined to agree with kat i've had the same problem and i beleive it has to do with windows irq routing chances are you are sharing the nic's irq with something else check it out in your system folder in the device manager under your computer icon

Did that. Haven't gotten lockups now, altough I haven't played any games in a while. The IRQ has stayed the same (11), which is also being used by SBLive, HPT370, MX & USB... As much as I try, I can't change the IRQ.

Newer pci cards are not to wrapped up about having the same irq as another pci card.

I just set up a Abit KT7A 900 tb and the SB live, Modem and usb all rode the same irq. System is stable and ready to OC.

This is hilarious! I was just replying to this topic as my computer locked up! I had been folding for 15 hours straight...

About that 1144MHz: It went thru 4 pifasts, but later I left it running Prime95 torture and it errored. Annoying.
I'm getting these stupid "stalls" also, everything freezes for few seconds and the HD-light is lit for the time. Didn't occur before the NIC, so that's the culprit. I've tried swapping the cards, etc.
I even updated my box yesterday: w2k sp2, 4in1 4.31, bios ZT and detonator 12.20. No fix there.

Any suggestions?

Back