• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Arctic Silver II and AMD CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Mark

I just ordered an Iwill KK266 and a 1.33 ghz T-bird to replace my CUSL2 motherboard. I may regret this decision, but had to see if all the AMD and KK266 stuff is true. One main thing that I see on the AMD Athlon CPU's that has me a little bit worried is all of the small components and bridges. I realize that Arctic Silver II is not supposed to be all that conductive, but can't help but wonder what will happen if some of it gets on these components when I attach my waterblock? Has anyone here had any problems with Arctic Silver thermal paste shorting out the small components on the top on the AMD Cpu's? Also, can one simply look at the L1 bridges and determine if the CPU is unlocked from the factory before the chip is powered up? Thanks in advance for your help.

Artic Silver II won't hurt anything on the cpu but don't use it on northbridge!

L1's will look like this

locked . : : : :
unlocked . | | | |
BTW if you are installing win2k I would look at the fullon3d FAQ and disable the ACPI while intalling your OS.

good luck getting to 1.6Ghz :¬)

Mark (May 09, 2001 02:18 p.m.):
I just ordered an Iwill KK266 and a 1.33 ghz T-bird to replace my CUSL2 motherboard. I may regret this decision, but had to see if all the AMD and KK266 stuff is true. One main thing that I see on the AMD Athlon CPU's that has me a little bit worried is all of the small components and bridges. I realize that Arctic Silver II is not supposed to be all that conductive, but can't help but wonder what will happen if some of it gets on these components when I attach my waterblock? Has anyone here had any problems with Arctic Silver thermal paste shorting out the small components on the top on the AMD Cpu's? Also, can one simply look at the L1 bridges and determine if the CPU is unlocked from the factory before the chip is powered up? Thanks in advance for your help.
ive seen someone here with this prob, fried a duron i think whats wrong with AS on NB? no probs here, I think hoot will tell you the same thing?

Welcome to the real world! The world of AMD! I'm sure u wont regret ur decision.
Just like el say's u can see on the L1 bridges, if the CPU locked or unlocked.
Good luck with ur new chip!

If you go to the AS web page they tell you it is barely slighly conductive under extreme pressure.
I have seen fine print that says some warrentees may be void if any compound is on the processor anywhere but on the core.

Thank you for the help and information! I will post again when I get my rig put back together. I like to use Win2k, but may try 98SE to get the most FPS out of my Elsa Geforce3 920 when it comes in. Oh, by the way, which is the preferred nethod to OC an AMD chip, the FSB, multiplier, or both??? Thanks again. Mark

It works fine on a NorthBirdge too. Where you guys find these rumors?

Mark (May 09, 2001 04:10 p.m.):
Thank you for the help and information! I will post again when I get my rig put back together. I like to use Win2k, but may try 98SE to get the most FPS out of my Elsa Geforce3 920 when it comes in. Oh, by the way, which is the preferred nethod to OC an AMD chip, the FSB, multiplier, or both??? Thanks again. Mark

Well u should try to get the FSB as high as possible, cuz that will also boost ur overall performance, cuz then u are also overclocking ur RAM's and vidcard.

Ur chip probably would be unlocked and try to keep the as2 on the core and not on the ceramic. Also first try the proc at default multiplier and FSB and them up them step by step.When u see that the comp is getting unstable back down by a step and increase the voltage by a bit. Just be careful thet increasing the voltage will increase the heat given out by the proc so be sure to have adequate cooling.
U will just do fine.
Good luck

I heard a couple of people fried their mobo because the as gets off the chip and into the traces and you end up with dead mobo because of shorts.

Back