• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what kind of cooling do I need

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

I have an xp1800 oc'd to around 2145mhz, undder load on prime 95 with my volcano 9 I am getting 54c that is with the fan with the probe monitor on the under side of the cpu. the fan cranks all the way up after about 48c. I am using an asus a7n8x-deluxe with the newest version of pc probe for the temps. Is this too hot?? and how much would I improve with a thermalright slk style cooler. I am using a antec lanboy with generic 80mm fans front and rear and a very clean wiring job for efficient airflow. I am kinda new to pushing my chips this hard but it is a dl3tc chip and is has alot of head room. Let me know what you guys think.

is that a palmino or a thoroughbred? what voltage is that at? vcore I mean. we need to know to work out how much of a difference you'd get.

edit:

just saw that the volcano 9 should be about the same as the volcano 11 in Heatsink rankings.

I have a volcano 11, and I must say that the heatsink itself is not very good. Compared to the stock AMD heatsink it is worse. That's why I ended up using the fan from the Volcano 11 on the stock heatsink.

Assuming that it is a thoroughbred in which case it would give out 55w or more, (55 x 0.36 - 55 x 0.22) you'd get at least 7.7 degree C lower temperature going to SLK + loud fan. If it was a palomino and you have something like 80w or more, then you'd get at least 11 degrees C lower.

Of course if you use the same fan, then the gains might not be that impressive.

Last edited:
Is it stable? If so then you really have little to wory about, 54c isnt a temp that is going to hurt your CPU.

well, it is pretty stable, but I am scared to run prime very long considering the temp?? it is a tbred chip a jhuib dlt3c, is going with a thermalright slk700 with the smartfan2 going to do much for me??

I just put a zalman cnps7000-cu on a barton 2500 for a friend and it is cooling that thing like nobodys bidness. It has a 92mm fan sitting on a huge copper core. So far the temps at load are in the mid 50'sF

I want to know if it is worth while. From what I am reading I am seeing people who didn't get enough change with temp. I was wondering what to expect from the heat sink change.

well, I guess that maximum drop you can get would be 7.7 degrees C using the Vantec 80mm at a deafening 5500rpm. At 3000rpm, which should be quite tolerable, the test had a C/W of 0.29. That should give you roughly (55*0.36 - 55*0.29) 3.85 degrees C.

Back