• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC a K62 450 I know...old subject

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedMR2

Ok, Ive been hanging around the forums...checking out every web site that I can find on overclocking the AMD K62 450. I see that some people got it all the way up to about 700 Mhz without problems...now I want to try :). I have the EP-MVP3G2 Motherboard and no as of yet havent had problems with the Via chipset. I have a COOL Master blower and I always leave the side of my Enlight case open for better cooling. Im a student with no real cash flow and I love to play games cuz I cant afford to party :) Please someone help me overclock this thing so that I can get some more mileage outta my computer. Thanx a bunch.

I ran a K6II 450 @560 for about 4 months. It ran rock stable. Is yours a K6II+? These are more apt to get better OC. These things like there voltage. @ 504 I ran 2.6v @ 560 2.8 and they do get warm. They also perform a little better with FSB increases than mult increases. It was a good chip to learn OC on.

My K6-2 350 will only get to 400 at 100fsb 4x multiplier and 2.4 voltage before the video card wont work at 450 , are you sure it's not a COOLERmaster you have? I have the same thing , keeps my 350@400 at 38 C with normal silicone grease , cant wait for some artic silver. Can anyone help me about the video card?

see my post on AMD 350 O/C'ing problems, and holler if ya have Q's

OK SWEET!!! I fiddled a bit taking in all the information that I learned off this site and with my Epox EP-MVP3G2 motherboard and a K6II-450mhz chip I was able to leave the board at 100mhz but I upped the multiplier to 5...then after enough problems and fiddlling with the CPU volts I finnally got windows ME back up using 2.6 volts and after all that heartache I got a whopping 501MHZ CPU now running a little hot at about 50C. My motherboard can FSB at 112mhz but I couldnt find a setting that would make that work. Has anyone had any luck with this stuff to try and push this baby a little further? Oh, question...Is the heat the thing that makes the CPU unstable or the shear voltage going thru it? Thanks a bunch. OH....Whats a good benchmark to see if everything is OK?

in my opinion, you have too much heat.
heat causes instability, as i could be unstable @ 450 if i was'nt using cooling
i suggest first thing is to get a good hsk/fan, lapp it, grease it, and try 2.8v 112FSB see how it goes.

Allright Im interested!!! Where can I get a really good cooling system that I can play with in my K6II 450 system and that has the capability to go into a Thunderbird 1.33 system for the future? Where do you guys get this stuff and how much does it cost generally? I want to try that FSB @112 and jack uup that voltage to 2.8 again. Last time I tried that the temp whent to 72C and was still climbing when I shut that sucker down.....pretty scary. Oh, whats a good way to test out the chip to make sure everything is ok. Thanks alot for all your help.

check on pricewatch.com then on resellerratings.com
i got a thermaltake at the local comp show.
i never had that sort of temp.
back it to stock settings and double check what you've changed.
get the better cooling first as opposed to running hot right now, i think its a clear indicator why anything is wrong. as when i hit about 4?* windows acted up.

do you have grease on the hsk/f you have? is there good contact? seems like theres something wrong there, even crappy hsk should cool better.
i forgot where you set the multiplyer at, but go to stock... and play with vcore and fsb only. a step at a time. check ram seated and bios settings for everything!

RedMR2 (May 10, 2001 09:21 a.m.):
Allright Im interested!!! Where can I get a really good cooling system that I can play with in my K6II 450 system and that has the capability to go into a Thunderbird 1.33 system for the future?

read some reviews first, and decide what you want, i guess a FOP38 is the best way to go in my estimate. but if you go with a slot vs. socket proc it's a different design. i'm going from the 450 to a Duron 700 this week, my cooler won't be great, i'm assuming... but for a good break in at stock spec, i think everything will be cool.

Where do you guys get this stuff and how much does it cost generally? I want to try that FSB @112 and jack uup that voltage to 2.8 again. Last time I tried that the temp whent to 72C and was still climbing when I shut that sucker down.....pretty scary.

yep, scary...
top dollar is like 30.00 for hsk/f ....i paid 8.00
dont use the thermal pad, scrape it off... lap it <see guides, front page>
then $10 artic silver paste... very light coat.
strap her on, plug her in'
i used radioshack grease cuz its what i had on hand.
costs like 4.00, no waiting.

Oh, whats a good way to test out the chip to make sure everything is ok. Thanks alot for all your help.

using windoze LOL... aside from that, i dunno honestly. i guess running a game is a clear indicator everything is cool. there's programs at the ftp site for download, i don't know much about them... nor am i very familiar with software on the whole. maybe someone will post recs, or you could...
ask that Q in the "software" forum for a better answer :)

i hope that better answers your Q's

Man, thanks a million for helping me out. I'll see if I cant get a hold of a good cooler real quick. You guys are great!!! And I'll check the how-to's for the proper installation of the film and all. Thanks again

notta problem :)
one thing i failed to mention tho..
please don't expect that chip to do 700mhz.
i feel i'm lucky w/560
also the chip codes appear to play a role. so when you do remove the heatsink, check it. it'll say either AFX or AHX and that should be an indicator, based on results in the cpu database, different voltages, etc..
on what to *reasonably* expect. those reports are Not Proven,
or documented as fact. anyone can post there. so take it for what it's worth.
that 450@700 may have blown up leaving that post :)
also, the reality is the K6-2 was'nt a great O/c'er and to get 700 i'd think watercooling is the Only way you'd keep it stable... *maybe*
basically not worth doing <added costs opposed to Duron chip>
and i'd hate to see you fry the K6 trying.
it was hard to get stability at 560, i would'nt push my chip any harder.
and for the most part, backed it down to [email protected] 112/37
after running high voltage awhile, i could raise FSB while keeping stock voltage.
as ya know, individual results may vary :)
ram is a factor also, i used PC100 initially, but had better results w/
PC133 CAS2

Back