• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chances of me geting to 1.7-1.8GHZ from a 1.2GHZ AXIA TB 266fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

I Have a 1.2GHZ 266fsb AXIA and I just orderd the Aquastealth2 watercooling kit with this purple stuff I think its anti freeze and i also orderd a 122watt peltier do you think I can overclock to 1.7 or 1.8 ??? I have a Iwill KA266-R mobo 256mbs Samsung PC2100 and a 300watt ATX generic power supply.

A 122 watt pelt is not going to do the job. Two of 122s or two 172 watt pelts in a Danger Den Maze 2.2 or a Vapochill is what it's going to take.

Can't I just buy like 1 more peltier to get to1.7 cause I just bought aqua kit I can't afford to get danger den besides My dad didn't want me orderding diff parts from like 3 diff sites cause danger den didn't have the whole kit for sale with pump etc.....

If this is your only comp and it is needed for school work it may be best just to stick with water cooling and no pelt. It would be ashame to fry something and not have the funds to buy new replacement parts. If you want the best chance of high speed along with low risk consider a pre-tested cpu and water cooling(no pelt)

The single 122w pelt will not cut it. 2 should work but I think the block in your kit will only work with 1. Dangerden maze 2-2 would be the way to go. Also keep in mind that you need a power supply that is up to the task.

Once you get to 1.5/1.6ghz the odds really arn,t in your favour. This is not to say you wont achieve these speeds , its just the luck of the draw.

As others have said the single 122w peltier isnt giong to be suffiecient to cool a T-bird @ 1.7/1.8ghz .

I can run for a short time @1812mhz , and even the Vapochill is working to keep the heat down, T-birds are seriously "HOT" cpu,s!!!

Good Luck.

ken257 (May 10, 2001 01:49 a.m.):
If this is your only comp and it is needed for school work it may be best just to stick with water cooling and no pelt. It would be ashame to fry something and not have the funds to buy new replacement parts. If you want the best chance of high speed along with low risk consider a pre-tested cpu and water cooling(no pelt)

A very good point. I picked up a new Bird last weekend. When I got it stable at 1575, I got a very short note from Nevin. "That's fast enough leave it alone." Wise words, that could have come from your father. Stick with straight H2O to start with and buy a cheap chip to fine tune your pelt set up. Just so you know it sunk in, this time I am going to supercool a $39 Duron first.

I think most claims of 1.2 gig 266 tbirds doing over 1.5 are questionable. I won't tell you that no one has done it because I am sure they have with extreme cooling and all the associated problems. Point is how stable it will be and how much benefit you will reap from real world apps is highly questionable. If it is strictly a game machine it may be worth going for more but not much point in spending the money to go higher than 1.5 with a 1.2 266. Also not very chip will do it. Only a select few will reach these speeds. It's a good idea to try and get some extra from your system but the rewards must match the expense. Bang for your buck....

You have to think realistically here. First off, you're buying a chip that is currently around $350-400. Do you really have that much money to burn to get another one if it explodes in a blue spark and a stench of Ozone, possibly taking your $300 Mobo w/ it? The most I've seen a 1.2 get is about 1.5 to 1.6, and 1.6 was pushing the envlope a little farther than I think most people here would feel comfortable with. Just because the chip has AXIA stamped into its die does not make it The Worlds Greatest and Most Indestructible Processor(tm). Second, you have to think about the kind of money you're gunna be spending on cooling. Dual 172 watt Peltiers w/ a Danger Den Maze 2 is going to run you quite a bit. You'll also need more than one PS (or an 840 watt server PS :) ) to power them plus your water pump. If I were you, I'd lose the Illusions of Grandure and go w/ something a little more feasable. Try taking your 1.2 to about 1.4. If that works, you could call it even, or beef up your cooling and go for 1.5, but don't go for broke right out of the gate. Take your time w/ it. Make sure that your system works the way it should before you make it work the way you want it to. Good luck.

I have 2 AXIA chips, 1 is a 1.2 and the other is a 1.33 and I cant even hit 1500 with either of them even with a pelt. So just cause it says AXIA doesnt mean too much.

Far be it for me to urge caution, but I think that your best option would be to set-up a simple water cooled solution, and push the processor that way.

Remember Palomino for the desktop isn't too far away(hopes I don't have to eat those words). If Palomino has any kind of headroom and overclocking possibilities, you should see the kinds of speed that you wish.

A processor swap, and some BIOS tweaking is a lot easier to digest than than the additional expense of much more extreme cooling means, and the unlikelihood of you reaching your stated goals with current generation silicon.

T

Well I would be happy @ 1.6GHZ lol with a nice big bus maybe 146x11 would be nice w/peltier btw I gota pick up new power supply this 1 is 12A they say peltier need more then 16a.

Everything you do in ocing has a learning curve. Do the water cooling first. Play with it, master it, and see how far you can get with that first. Then later on add the pelt. Once you get into pelts it is a whole nother game with it's own set of problems you have to learn to deal with. If you bite off to much at one time it's that much harder to know where the trouble is when it occurs. Notice I said when not if!

Set your goals lower you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. Consider this look at the 2 chips in my sig a 172w pelt was not enough cooling for either of these chips to be stable under full load it can take extreme cooling to get these results.

1.4 is a good goal and you very well may reach that with your 1.2 consider anything above that gravy. Besides what do you really need the little extra speed for, 1.4 is smokin! For me it is not about needing the speed but rather the fun ride getting there.

obviously all depends on luck. in an effort to increase my odds, i took the route of buying a half dozen 1gig AXIA and testing em all - cherry picking a chip and selling the rest. draw back is the big initial cash outlay (at the time people were still willing to pay a premium for a 1.45 AXIA, so I was able to pay for my chip in the end). all the chips did around 1.45 at 1.85v with a few getting as high as 1.48. i modded my A7V133 for more voltage and run H2O cooling. once you give these chips 2+v you see a whole different creature. there is no telling which chip will rise to the top. the one chip that ruled was not the most stellar at 1.85v, but with 2.1v this chip sings along at 1.61 stable as can be. there seems to be some indication that the 1.33 chips are different beasts, but like people have said, who are you going to believe?

either way you are dreaming if you think you have a good chance of hitting 1.7-1.8 with a 1.2 gig chip - sorry.

Back