• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 Single Player requires Internet connectivity-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Piracy has hit so hard an so quick in the last several years do to high spped internet connections, that the companies putting out the products are floundering around trying to figure out a way to prevent it and I think they are at there wits ends.

I can tell you that a crack will be done to bypass any cd protection and/or the need to be connected to the internet to play. This is a constant routine with games nowadays and many websites specialize in these dark arts such as gamecopyworld.com. Many times before the game/app even hits the store shelves. However, I think in the next few years, a solution will be found that will make piracy 90% more dififcult then it is today. Just my opinion.

I was going to buy this game, but after reading that I doubt it. Its not only because I am on dialup, its also the principle of it. I'd bet money on it that there is a crack for it in less than 2 weeks after its release.

Maxvla said:

*warning- linked forum thread contains some bad language but is a good read for those of you interested in Half Life 2's single and multiplayer abilities/requirements.*

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?threadid=197798&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Personally I think this is a load of crap. Valve is now requiring players to be connected to the internet at all times when playing Half Life 2 no matter if you are playing single player or multiplayer online. This includes Lan parties of which most do not have a dedicated internet connection. The lan I go to every month does not have an internet connection so we would not be able to play this EVER at our lan.

This is their glorious plan to curb piracy but in doing this, they are inciting even more people to try to crack the game.

your thoughts?

this is so crappy

im NOT buying hl2 , because of this and a few others-- im going with doom3

valve can sit and spin on this one...this feels like my getting put in a jail cell just incase I commit a crime - im not doing anything wrong so why am I being punished?

whilst I can see on their side they are losing alot of money to piracy...at the same time developing a scheme like this is stupid.

but hopefully if anything this will get people away from this whole hl/mod world thing - as if this were to equal the success of the original HL there would be a plethora of FPS just as good if not better that would just never be touched.

FYI piracy of games is not as big an issue as it is made out to be.

Game development is still one of the mostlucrative markets there is in America (and many other countries).

The fact is that most people who pirate games were not going to buy it anyway, and there is nothing they can do to stop that.

I buy games I like, and don't buy games I don't. However, when a company does something like this, it is like was stated above, putting undue stress on the ones who follow the rules.

PS: It seems I spoke to soon, steam needing the net to play HL2 SP is only the beginning of the wave of problems with steam. Just reading the steam EULA is enough to stop me from installing it.

how is being connected to the internet while you play single player for only the first two weeks the games released going to help anything?

and what is steam? i never played any halflife games. why does everyone hate it so much?

Stiletto said:

Hrm, I wish gabe would respond my e-mail fast...lol, I guess I only sent it this afternoon. With any luck i'll have a response on tuesday, heh.

Anyway, I lost my faith in valve when they announced how HL2 will be sold, and also implied (i'm not 100% sure yet) that steam will be REQUIRED in order to play online....

This is their glorious plan to curb piracy but in doing this, they are inciting even more people to try to crack the game.

I think Maxvla has it, and i dont think this will last to long, once its cracked and over with. Also why did gabe say it would only last for a couple of weeks? whats the point of that? to make sure the ppl that buy the game the first week dont have pirated versions??

well, if this is going to be how they are going to release the game, they will not get $0.01 from me. and i hope the rest of you that dislike this step up and do the same. take their profit from them and they will bend. let's see, they disregarded a large portion of potential buyers (not everyone has broadband), and then if people like myself refuse to give them money they will have to deal with the issue that they need to listen to their own community.

and, btw, this whole thing of titles going gold before release is ****ing stupid.

er......gold means that it has been sent off to be copied. Gold is a GOOD thing, because generally they don't start producing copies of a game until they are going to release it. If a title goes Gold, it just means that it will hit shelves soon.....it's just to mark the beginning of the production process...it's basically a way to let the consumers know that the game IS going to be released soon.

For those too lazy to click the link:

Just recieved confirmation from Gabe that Steam will NOT require an internet connection for LAN or single play. All you LAN partiers out there and guys in Australia with broadband where you pay for the bandwidth that you use or where your bandwidth is capped will not need to worry.

I'd just like to say before I post the e-mail that this is once again a fine example that Valve are NOT idiots like some of you seem to think.
And all you conspiracy theorists can all rest with your "omg teh Vaelv hav a deel wiv meh ISP so tha tehy get moor munnie from meh!!"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Will it never cease?

I'm not sure if it will ever cease or not. The constant nagging question
that people are asking - Will Steam be required to have an internet
connection active when starting up a singleplayer game or a LAN game?

It's giving me a headache

Seen the petition yet?

Chris_D

No, it won't.

There will be a brief transition (like two weeks) when it is necessary, but
then it will go away. It's a temporary issue.

EDIT: If you all want a screenie to prove authenticity, then let me know and I'll post one up.

Two weeks I don't give a rats @SS about. Windows XP style video game...I'll buy that right after I run out and buy a copy of XP to play it on! (that means never for anyone just waking up).

Just recieved confirmation from Gabe that Steam will NOT require an internet connection for LAN or single play. All you LAN partiers out there and guys in Australia with broadband where you pay for the bandwidth that you use or where your bandwidth is capped will not need to worry.

I'd just like to say before I post the e-mail that this is once again a fine example that Valve are NOT idiots like some of you seem to think.
And all you conspiracy theorists can all rest with your "omg teh Vaelv hav a deel wiv meh ISP so tha tehy get moor munnie from meh!!"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Will it never cease?

I'm not sure if it will ever cease or not. The constant nagging question
that people are asking - Will Steam be required to have an internet
connection active when starting up a singleplayer game or a LAN game?

It's giving me a headache

Seen the petition yet?

Chris_D

No, it won't.

There will be a brief transition (like two weeks) when it is necessary, but
then it will go away. It's a temporary issue.

EDIT: If you all want a screenie to prove authenticity, then let me know and I'll post one up.

So, no it won't, really means yes, but just for a little while? Well I'm glad he is honest about it:rolleyes: I still don't think he really answers the question well. I mean why would it be neccesary for only a short time? If it isn't neccesary all the time, why would you do it for a few weeks that would just end up ****ing some people off, namely dial-up users.

Perhaps we should wait until the games comes out and we actually know what is required to pass judgement? Just an idea, pay no heed.

KaHNZa said:
I was going to buy this game, but after reading that I doubt it. Its not only because I am on dialup, its also the principle of it. I'd bet money on it that there is a crack for it in less than 2 weeks after its release.

Indeed. I myself am on DSL, however, I will certainly never, ever, let anyone or anything scan anything on my computer (or my network for that matter). Bad move Valve, shame on you, :mad:

Im very happy with this. Don't like it? Don't play lol. I will enjoy the awsome game by my self you can go play somthing else =D

Anyway its all your fault. Stop DOWNLOADING GAMES ILLEGLY, and maybe they wont need to do this kind of thing lol

naa this is a good idea. as for lan party, I dont really care I dont like lan partys, well unless there is cash involded then i might go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back