• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Turd Furguson said:
One click link doesn't work Wedo.

Whoops, forgot to change the link, thanks. Also did a slew of edits to include the new versions of the One-Click.

Wedo

Ok, I want to fold. I have two machines.

First: pIII450 running stock
Second: AMD 1700 in sig running full tilt boogy

What do I do to get BOTH rigs folding for the home team?

They are connected through a linksys router on a home network, with a cable modem.

I tried the one click method described above. When I click on the click and edit user name shortcut I get an error message "Windows cannot open this file. To open this file windows needs to know what program created it..blah...blah...blah" What do I do now?

Jarhead7236 said:
then what? this isn't the graphical version/client, right?

He meant open the client.cfg on your desktop with notepad. You then edit the words "YourName" with your folding name. Then do a File/Save and you're done.

Wedo

Help with folding questions

I would like to fold, but have a couple of issues with the folding program I downloaded from this thread.

First off, it runs in the background, so how do I check my progress?

Second: I have dial up, and am looking for a new job, so I need my phone line free. Can I get a version that I can run when I want, and how often does it need internet access? I would be glad to give it access at night when I am online, but the dialling in when I am not home may hurt my job hunting!

Thanks!

E

Two questions...

I borged a couple of computers with the one click method and would like to ensure that they all got my username. How can I veryfy that the results are sent back for dropadrop?

One of the computers I borged is running win-xp home, and I can't get the oneclick program to work on it. I downloaded the file, extracted it and double clicked. I get the ms-dos prompt, but the "click and edit username" file does'nt appear! Any idea what could be causing this? Worked fine on all the xp-pro and win2k machines.

dropadrop said:
Two questions...

How can I veryfy that the results are sent back for dropadrop?

One of the computers I borged is running win-xp home, and I can't get the oneclick program to work on it. I downloaded the file, extracted it and double clicked. I get the ms-dos prompt, but the "click and edit username" file does'nt appear! Any idea what could be causing this?

All versions install FAH to C:\program files\FAH (only difference is that the dually versions use ...\FAH1 and ...\FAH2). So go to the install directory and verify the client.cfg for your username.

The XP Home problem concerns me. Go to the above mentioned directory and see if the One Click put three files into the ...\FAH directory (FAH4Console.exe, srvany.exe, client.cfg). If those three files are there AND a whole bunch more (a work directory, FAHlog.txt, and a slew of others) then it probably worked.

To verify if it did work, go to task manager (right click your taskbar and hit "Task Manager") to make sure that the computer is running at 100% load.

If the files are not there or ONLY those files are there, then you need to check the services to see if FAH is there or not. Go to Start\Run and type in "services.msc" and look for FAH. If it's not there, go for a reboot, and check again.

If the FAH service doesn't show up, then I'm afraid you have to install FAH another way as the One Click might not work on XP Home. I have no idea because I've never tried it on XP Home.

Either way, let me know and I'll help you use one of the other installers to make sure you get the benefits of running the client as a service with the appropriate flags.

Every borg is a good borg, but a properly set up borg will reap even more benefits.

Wedo

I had a similar problem with the one click on XP home. When I double clicked the "click and edit user name" windows asked me what program created it...etc...etc... I couldn't get it to open no matter what I did, but I did notice that cpu usage went up to 100%! When I checked the task manager, F@H was there and running at full tilt boogy...further investigation revealed it was running under Wedo's name! hmmm......

I checked out the xp home machine and it had installed fine. It was just folding for wedo :) Changed the name from the config file and it should be fine now.

edit: I just found the one click file on the desktop of the computer even though I had downloaded and clicked it in a folder...

Last edited:
Does NOT work on my computer!

I downloaded the program, and kept on getting a shut down after 1 min! (I got a warning that windows is shutting down, save your stuff and all) Had to think hard that F8 is th safemode, then do a system restore to boot up and stay up for more than a min!

If you can help me out, I will be glad to do a little folding, but I do not want to be unable to use my computer without safe modes/restores and all of that.

E

OK I think I might do this.
My uncle died in front of the famliy because of cancer.
Looks like my mother might have the sighs of the begining of this too sucks.:(

Very sorry to hear that ZGOZZ. Good Luck to you and your family.

Anyways, I now see that the first network install is ready. That is really good. I am now going to ask around some places and see what I can borg :D

How do I uninstall this? Just curious, my installation is having problems, I want to try installing again. :)

Thanx Wedo,

I just used your HT/dual SSE oneclick to install on my P4 2.4c HT Shuttle. Worked perfectly except Stanford gave me 2 Tinkers inspite of the flags.

Thanx again man

Audioaficionado said:
Thanx Wedo,

I just used your HT/dual SSE oneclick to install on my P4 2.4c HT Shuttle. Worked perfectly except Stanford gave me 2 Tinkers inspite of the flags.

Thanx again man

Great to hear.... I usually only find out about the mishaps versus the success stories. :D

Wedo

bump the sticky for the new version updates. Dually and single cpu One-Click are both available using the new core and the new client with the SSE flags.

folding pwnage,

Wedo

Noob

I didn't use the one click install thing, I downloaded the windows based text only. If I want to download the optimized one click installation from Wedo should I wait until all current work is finished so I don't lose what I've done?

Re: Noob

Quarl said:
I didn't use the one click install thing, I downloaded the windows based text only. If I want to download the optimized one click installation from Wedo should I wait until all current work is finished so I don't lose what I've done?

I just moved from the Graphical to the text-based without doing anything. just download and it ran. Nothing lost.

Back