• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anything you lose while switching over from the graphical to the One Click will be more than made up over time as running FAH as a service with the appropriate -forceSSE and -advmethods flags (both set up automatically in the One Click) are much more effecient ways to churn out WU's.

Welcome to the team. :D

Wedo

hey wedo.. quick question..

i installed the one click dually on my 2.6c rig. i'm trying to use emiii over the network to track, but since your program installed folding in the program files directory XP has it locked down.

ideas?

edit: if it would just install in the main C drive instead of the progam files directory i'd have no problems.

Last edited:
I've got the dually version running nicely, however the consoles have to be open for it to be running? I heard mention of it running in the background. Was that for a different install or can I keep folding without these annoying consoles?

Nevemind the above, A clean reinstall made the problems go away. Plus the new borg and I've tripled my output! :D . Too bad it's still miniscule compared to some of these giants around here.

Is a dual install with HT any better than a single install with 100% load?

Last edited:
Guys do i need to somehow unistall fah or just delete the files? I installed the wrong version. This is a p4 ht machine and I want to put that same version

user-defined dynamic load possible?

I'm a total greenhorn to folding. I downloaded the standard F@H v4 client from the website and I've been happlily folding away. My machine is running at 50% cpu utilization which still allows me to use the machine for other things so I can fold 24x365 without regrets.

Ideally I'd like to fold at 100% but then have the ability to decrease the load to say 50% or suspend folding while I'm doing other things on the machine for 4 hours or so then crank it back up to 100%. I haven't seen discussions about this so I doubt if this is possible.

My understanding is that the new core/client would run at 100% so I'm reluctant to install it. Is my understanding correct or are there some options that I don't know about?

*Edit*

I downloaded the one click for dual/HT and this is so much better than the graphical client. I understand now that each instance runs at 50% load so I can always elect to stop the second one if need be.

I got gromacs to run easily in FAH1 but FAH2 kept erroring. Even after rebooting and dumping the queue file in FAH2 etc. If I stopped FAH1, then FAH2 would run ok. Weird. The only way that I got both to run was to switch the services to manual and start one allowing it to sucessfully write to the file once then start the other /shrug.

Thanks Wedo for your efforts!

Last edited:
quote:
Originally posted by Turd Furguson
One click link doesn't work Wedo.

Whoops, forgot to change the link, thanks. Also did a slew of edits to include the new versions of the One-Click.

Wedo

I'm clicking the One-Click zip, and after download, the zip is showing up empty. Am I losing my mind, or can someone else confirm this?

OMG! YOUR GOING CRAAAZZY! JP.

Here you guys go! In the meantime you can use/test out my One-Click if you want ;) Pleeaase? It is better hidden, and it doesn't use the -advmethods flag [tho you can change this easily] BTW It's only for WinXP right now ;)

Here you go: OC_One-Click_FAH_XP_0.2.0.zip
>> It should work for you guys [remember it's MY One-Click, not Wedo's]
>> I don't have a dually version....yet ;)

Now for Wedo's: Wedo's OC-FAH.zip One-Click <2000/XP
Wedo's OC-FAH-Dually.zip One-Click <2000/XP

Here you guys go! In the meantime you can use/test out my One-Click if you want Pleeaase? It is better hidden, and it doesn't use the -advmethods flag [tho you can change this easily] BTW It's only for WinXP right now

Too bad I'm running more non-XP systems than XP systems. Gotta play it safe and keep it all legal! ;-)

But in case I start to borg... how exactly does your One-Click differ from Wedo's?

ha, i just realized that the term "one-click" isnt appropriate.
it takes a double click to install it. :)

Is there any version for Mac OS 9? I've got 1 on 24/7 only running limewire.

Also, is there any way to run the OS X console client on startup? The method on the Stanford page is for the graphical client.

If anyone can explain in complete newbie terms how to install the Linux client, I also have one of those looking for something to do (note: it took me ages to install redhat 9 and configure internet access).

Last edited:
SO which version gives the most folding power?

i am a SETI guy so the client works faster then then the screne saver - which of the above is the "client" so to say?

Mr.Guvernment said:
SO which version gives the most folding power?

i am a SETI guy so the client works faster then then the screne saver - which of the above is the "client" so to say?

They all use the "client" version instead of the screen saver.

umm there are no log files and EM3 says "this doesn't appear to be a F@H folder." F@H is running I know it is it is eating up my cpu cycles.
Edit: ok slap me and call me names I got it figured out.

Last edited:
Now that SETI has switched to BOINC, is there an update for Folding, too? I'd like to set folding up as my secondary project for the times when SETI is wonky and can't give info.

Back