• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scenario:

Okay, say I belong to a high school that uses multiple versions of Windows and they're all networked. I know that there are different versions of the service install for these different Windows' versions. The OS' in my high school span from Windows 95 to Windows XP, and everything in between. They all run on Intel processors (darn stupid deal they have with Dell). How do I know that a network install will work for all of these computers, if there is such an install that is available? :(

Hi guys. I decided to start folding at my dad's office. But he said it's ok as long as it's not in the taskbar or showing anywhere. So i installed it but it doesn't stay in the hidden away from the taskbar like he suggested. Is there a way to get around this? He's using Windows 98. =/

the regular one-click url works for me too, but i get

File not found

on your site mr chambers

In the windozzze98 install the FAH shortcut looks like this:

C:\fah\HideItX.exe -starthide c:\FAH\FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

But it has been partially updated and the above line should read:

C:\fah\HideItX.exe -starthide c:\FAH\FAH4Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

Thats why I did not find it working....

How to uninstall One-Click?

Forgive my lack of knowledge here please. How do I uninstall the One-Click? I had assumed (incorrectly) that like the official FAH clients it only runs when the computer is not in use (free cpu cycles). As it stands now though its constantly running and thus overheating my laptop and eats battery power faster than a horse through a hay bale!

Heck I'll even settle for learning how to just STOP the program.
============

edit/add.

Mr. Chambers in another thread taught me how to stop the client. Since I noticed others asked a smilar question to mine here I thought I'd share that info:

to stop the client do: start>run>services.msc and then stop the F@H service in the list. (I noticed when trying to do this via the ctrl-alt-del and end process it wouldn't actually stop unless srvany.exe was also stopped).

I figured out on my own that to remove one-click entirely do: start>regedit.exe then search for FAH4Console and remove the FAH key in the left pane and reboot.

Rob

Last edited:
Robocoastie it seems you are a bit confused. The client that the one click runs IS the official client, its just a simpler way to install it running as a service. F@H only uses unused cpu cycles, which is almost all cpu cycles. It certainly will make your cpu run hotter and will drain batteries on a laptop, but thats not anything to do with the one click installer, thats just the fact that you have a program using 100% cpu.

So is there any way to actually see the progress of the service thing, i like the graphical one becuz it allows you to see all the stats of the render. Unlike some who use this program, i use it strictly for the Duallie Server that needs the dual processes in order to be taken full advantage of. Other than that its graphical all the way. Whats the fun of folding if u dont know whats going on?

Thanks DeathKnight,

indeed you are correct, the battery drain is just too much on a laptop though so I now have the graphical tray icon one for it so I can start, stop and adjust cpu use on the fly. On my dualie downstairs though I now have the one-click running 24/7 on it and use FAHMON to monitor both of them (and the 3rd machine going online tomorrow).

thanks for your clarifications.

l8r,

Rob

edit/add

thanks to some IM's with DeathKnight I learned there's a flag that can be set to "yes" to cause the one click fah client to pause when on battery power so now I'm folding away with it again vs. graphical. =) thanks again DK.

Last edited:
I am back up and running again, and decided to use the one-click install....very cool BTW!

The problem I am having is my old username was BC_Wulf so that is what I entered, but when I click the MyFolding.html it is reading my username as BC-Wulf. This sucks as in much as I would like to keep adding to my old score!

Any ideas?

I should add that even in the FAHlog.txt file is lists my username as BC-Wulf

Nevermind...I reinstalled it and it works with the correct username now...I must have typed it in wrong before! :bang head

Wedo, can you include a short readme with the one-clicks, containing these simple instructions:

1. You have downloaded the necessary files if you are reading this
2. Open notepad and edit the client.cfg(s) with your username and bigpackets answer (yes or no, default being "no").
3. You click the .exe
4. The One-Click then creates the appropriate directories (C:\Program Files\FAH), downloads the FAH502-Console.exe, creates and installs FAH as a service in the registry, removes the extra install files after completion, and starts FAH as a service.
5. Refer to http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247&page=1&pp=50 for further instructions if needed, or register with ocforums and get help here: http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

We are getting an updated folding plug on the frontpage, and I would like these instructions included in a txt file with the downloads so that frontpagers have atleast a basic guide, and the plug is kept as simple as possible.

The article will be this one with updates to the install and download instructions:

www.overclockers.com/folding/

Ed has told me VIA email that he would rerun the story with these updates, and I will send him the updated version noting that he can make any further changes he'd like to, so that it remains as his article (the frontpagers are familiar with him).

Does FAHConsole check client.cfg with every new WU download or reboot? I ask because I upgraded my RAM so I want to set bigpackets=yes...just wondering if FAH will notice the change.

Reboot your FAH and it will do so.

Best way to do this without turning your computer off and on again...

SC Start FAH
SC Stop FAH

Put these in NOTEPAD and then save as .bat. Hit stop, then start, and your changes will come into effect.

Back