• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell BH5 chips on RAM modules at local stores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What if a chip says "BH5" at the end like it does at the end of the RAM pictures on newegg.com? Thanks for your post!

Taken from NewEgg.com
Please note: due to manufacturer version updates, pictures may vary from the actual item. Newer versions of this item may be shipped before the picture shown is updated.

The picture displayed on online merchant sites usually comes with a warning similar to NewEgg's above. The fact that a model may be displayed in a picture does not ensure the fact that you will get that same exact product. This is an issue that is contributed to the Manufacturer's fault and not the online merchant. Therefore never trust a picture :)

What brands of RAM might have BH-5 chips? If they are rated lower (say PC3000 or PC2700) it doesn't matter right, so long as they're Winbond BH-5 5ns? I'm going to hop down to CC and BB, as well as some local stores to try and turn some of this good stuff up :).

The only memory that CC and BB stock in-stores that might have BH-5 chips (debatable), that I know of, is their Kingston HyperX 3000. The HyperX 3500 uses WinBond CH-5 chips, that I'm aware of.

BestBuy.Com also has Mushkin Black PC3200. Although this is a special Best Buy batch, using their Black PCB, but chips used is unknown. Early batches used WinBond BH-5 chips, later unknown. If BestBuy.Com has any BH-5 Mushkin left is also unknown. It sells for $105/512MB.

Thanks for the info! I might just try guinea pigging newegg's Buffalo RAM PC3700... do you think it MIGHT have the BH-5 chips, or is it a definite no-no?

the HyperX 3200 or 3000 that's rated at '2-2-2' and not '2-3-2' or 'Cas2' should be BH-5

I've heard nothing but good of buffalo bh5 pcb's... and nothing about high voltage. What do heatspreaders matter? They're not much more than decoration anyways.

BH-5 is the chip ON the pcb. Those are the actualy ram modules. The pcb is the board that the chips are placed on. BH-5 are the best chips to date. The mushkin pcb is regarded as the best pcb. So the chips on the buffalo are good but pcb is mediocre.

q149 just want's everyone to share his delights with his super-Kingston HyperX that does nearly DDR500 at 2-2-2-5. An abnormally if I ever did see one :) (to q149's pleasure)

Back