• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any good windows based memory testers (or dosbased without booting from floppy)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
memtest86 can be run from a CD-rom, either the DOS version or the Linux version. I included the linux version on Overclockix, a bootable linux cd.

http://overclockix/octeams.com

launch with memtest -a

Or make your own boot-CD for the DOS version.

Last edited:
Floppies are becoming legacy devices. A lot of people do not put them in their custom computers.

Arkaine23 said:
Floppies are becoming legacy devices. A lot of people do not put them in their custom computers.

And if they do that, they won't be able to run any of the DOS-based utilities unless they can figure out how to make a working bootable CDr.......

Personally, I just shell out the $9 and put a floppy in my rigs so I have all the bases covered.

flopies are stupid, if i ever need one ill borrow one from another computer, just run the wires into the case and leave it unplugged, on my computers that have floppies i use it less than the pause button on the keyboard

They may be stupid, but for transfering stuff to my older computers, there's nothing quite like the floppy (even though disks are becoming VERY rare at my house :D) Once I get a good network going in my house though, I'll probably ditch them too.

I've even got myself an ancient 5 1/4" floppy drive in my system to give it a retro edge ;) Useful for making backups of my DOS 4.0 disks to CD ( :eek: ) and playing VERY old games.
... And making people take a second and third look at my system :D

JigPu

These are people that do not know much about the computers and how they work. Bootable floppy is the best way to test memory because it is a minimal environment for memory and only DOS residents are loaded, no extra drivers or background programs. That is the way to do it properly.

Back