• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU too small for this overclocked AMD CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

See sig for specs.

I'm currently using an Antec 350w PSU. If I pump up the CPU voltage or the speed, computer will shut off after the 12v rail drops to an 11.6v software reading running prime95. Would upgrading my PSU to a True480 alleviate this issue and allow me to take my system higher?

I have an Antec SL350. It drops to 11.78 at times. My 5v runs at 4.78 all the time.

Here's a mystery to me. What does it mean when my -12 is at -13.3v?

I would assume that a more powerful PS would help. I am running 2 of my rigs what the Antec true 500 with the voltage control. Thay work VERY well, almost no drop in the 12V line and the front mount control panel is very handy.

You could also test your system with just the onboard video of your 8RGA, it would draw much less power than your 9700 , just for testing of course..

I've got Tbreds on 300w and 350w cheap PSU's and they do ok. I can get the overclocks to 2150 or so. And I'm convinced its my older Tbreds that are limiting factors, not the PSU, because even if I put those CPU's in my main box with a 431w enermax, they still OC to the same level. I'm not saying strong, stable voltages are not a factor in OC'ing, just that they may not be the main factor, and even cheap brand PSUs can have good output sometimes.

unless you test the voltages with a multimeter, you have no idea whether they are fluctuating or not.

GoldenTiger said:
Would low voltages cause the system to power off, though?

Maybe so. Also you could check your settings for automatic shutdowns in the BIOS. Maybe you are hitting a temperature limit or something.

I just ordered a 530w Fortron unit... no shutdown temp was set in the BIOS or anything like that. I really think it is just that my current PSU is too weak, since it shuts off as the 12v rail steadily drops.

GoldenTiger said:
I just ordered a 530w Fortron unit... no shutdown temp was set in the BIOS or anything like that. I really think it is just that my current PSU is too weak, since it shuts off as the 12v rail steadily drops.

Let us know. This would be very interesting to me since we had practically the same 350wt unit.

Back