• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I miss my Speedking joystick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I dunno where else to stuff this... But I cant help laughing when I go through the joysticks and gamepads at different stores..

What happened to the good old style joystick, that didn't need a 10x10 inch base? I mean, like my good old trust Speedking, it fit perfectly in the palm of my hand, I had top control of everything...

Am I the only one to miss those good ole small-sized joysticks, that kicked hiney on gamepads and chunky joysticks..

They certainly proved that sized mattered... Small for preference!

Cheers, Flix

It makes one wonder why your so astute in the fact that small is better, Trying to make yourself feel better over something else..?

Anyways, I buy something.. I want it big, and bulky, and mechanical, and clickclickclicky.

All my puters are mATX, my laptop is a dell L400, my cell phone disappears in my pockets.. Yeah, I like small. easier to deal with, more precise, more maneuverable..

The only thing not so small has gotta be the Technogym equipment I have... its everything but smal and easy to deal with..

But again, the good old speed king was simply extremely precise, quick in reactions, very durable.. had the perfect feel to it..

My current logitech rumblepad is as close as it can go these days.

Flix

I currently use the Logitech Wingman (nice for $25, my first joystick with more than 4 buootns and boy did I need it... :) ) and an outdated Gravis Blackhawk but that's for easy Winamp control, works just great for that, and it would work for gaming, has good response time for an ancient joystick... However, I think I am going to replace it with a homebrew control made for gameport, as it is very easy to fool Windows into thinking you have a joystick/gamepad on it... For example, my Gravis is only a collecton of plastic, metal supports and weights, springs, 4 tact switches, 3 potentiometers, and an empty PCB (only circuit traces) and the wire and D-sub connector.... Amazingly simple and easy to reverse-engineer...

I've gotta go with BoB on this one, it's gotta be tactile and mechanical... No soft little membrane switches that go "phht" when you push them... :)

Back