• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo WB model back in stock at newegg!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

WOOHOO! Went to order the newegg.com Buffalo PC3700 RAM that wasn't WB (guaranteed to be BH5 chips), and they had the WB model back in stock as of today (it was out of stock for awhile). So, I ordered that instead... just a heads up that these devilish overclockers are back in stock at a bargain price :)!

I've heard mostly good reviews on Buffalo BH-5 memory, and some bad. Most of the bad were from users who refused to put more then 2.7V into the modules. Pretty much anything with BH-5 chips (including Mushkin's promo) are going to give you better performance then even top CH-5 modules (Corsair XMS/current HyperX). Corsair XMS LL 3200 tops out at 205MHz w/ 2-2-2-5 timings.

I dont think these fair to well w/ dual channel and youre only guaranteed great timings upto a maximum of 220 (youve gotta be pretty lucky to get to 220). Most people on these forums have gotten to at least 210 though.

So if i get 2 sticks of those buffalo 512mb ones. I will be able to reach 220-230 FSB with 2-2-2 timings at around 2.8-2.9v?
I doubt that but I can get 216-217 at 2-2-2-5 which fairly good. Using 2.85V. I go to 222-3 and somewhat higher with 2-3-2-6.
You might get one exceptional stick but two? That will be a little harder.

So would you reccomend buying 1 gb of this for an overclocker and gamer? Can you give me a direct link to it at newegg? I am planning on getting new ram soon. I have $110 and i can borrow like the other $95 temporarily to buy them if they are good.

If you are looking for 210-230MHz at 2-2-2-5 BH-5 chip memory is where it's at. Anything more then that you will have to be lucky. Also to get the upper ranges, 230-240MHZ, these chips like their voltages.

If you have the money, buy Mushkin Black Level 2 memory. Their black PCB is top quality, and their support is the best. But it's costy.

If you don't have $157/512MB, then Buffalo PC3700 will "hopefully" get you the famed WinBond BH-5 chip for less. With this you should by all means be able to outperform more expansive XMS C2 and LL memory (CH-5).

If you want high FSB, 250-280MHz, then you need to get high latency DDR500. A-DATA is good for budget. OCZ Gold is good for high budget.

There, through one of these choices should content you, as they go from 220-280MHz I have listed.

It should be quite likely to get 210MHz-230MHz at 2-2-2-5 if you do in fact receive BH-5 chips. Considering that there is no noted Buffalo PC3700 512MB without BH-5 chips known, your likelyhood of receiving these honored chips are quite high. This is at 2.8V. With greater voltage, 2.9-3.2V, the memory may slightly reduce it's lifespan but should increase FSB further.

I'm considering getting two 512mb sticks of this ram for a new intel 2.4c rig. It looks like it will be decent ram. Should we be super concerned with the timmings or just that we can overclock it to match the cpu's overclock as yet still have decent timmings? $200 for 1GB of PC3700 ram seems pretty good to me. Does anybody else suggest something different. Its tough when for $50 more over fast 2x256mb sticks you can double your system ram. This in enticing for future games and what not.

The Buffalo PC3700 isn't true PC3700. It uses WinBond BH-5 chips, which are very successful overclockers, but arn't 4.3ns (true DDR466). So if you want to get high FSB, Buffalo PC3700 isn't the best product. But it is great for DDR433-450 with lowest possible 2-2-2-5 timings.

Heatspreaders are essentially decoration... RAM doesn't get too hot at 2.9v and below, and is perfectly fine if you have a little airflow on it at 3.0v and above.

Im thinkin about getting some THIS which is suppose to be BH-5, and ive never had a problem with kingston...but this thread has peaked my interest in buffalo...let me know how it performs when any of you get it.

ConquereR said:
Im thinkin about getting some THIS which is suppose to be BH-5, and ive never had a problem with kingston...but this thread has peaked my interest in buffalo...let me know how it performs when any of you get it.

Ok, cool. My mobo should come in tomorow so i might be up and running. PM or post here, whichever you prefer

Back