• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't stop/shutdown service install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommelrommel

I did the one-click, and I love it's smoking speed, but I can't find a way to shut it down for benchmarking and other stuff. Id there a way? Also, how would I uninstall it should I want to?

Go to the Computer managment colsone(right clock on my computer and choose Manage) Then go to Services ans you'll see F@H in there, just select it and choose pause or stop. REMEBER TO RESTART it though! You can unistall (god forbid!) from the add/remove panel in the CP.

Quicker way, I have a shortcut in my quicklaunch bar attached to services.msc. With that I'm 3 clicks away from pausing/stopping FAH for other purposes.

For those who don't know how to set up the shortcut:

right-click on the desktop>new>shortcut
In the box for program pathname just type "services.msc" (without the quotation marks of course) and click on next then click on finish. Then drag the newly created shortcut down to the quicklaunch bar (to keep your desktop uncluttered)

Then 3 clicks:
1. click quicklaunch shortcut
2. click to highlight FAH
3. click to pause/stop

BUT - BUT - BUT
Like JDXNC said, please don't forget to resume/restart the service once done with your other projects, every cycle is precious when it comes to saving the kittens.

DWolf:cool:

Yeah, I always remember. I rarely benchmark anyways but sometimes like to see the results of my tweaks. :)

The uninstall regards a recent borg I did. If my friend finds it, although I sincerly doubt he will, he'll probably be pretty ****ed and make me remove it. :(

It shows in the add/remove programs list. What I've done in the past....

1) make the folding directory owned by my admin account and accessible/viewable/editable by no others. You must have an admin account that the owner does not know the password to to do this.

2) delete the reg key that puts it in the add/remove programs list.

I know that sounds cruel and unethical, but the guy I did this to is a long-time friend who has sworn to fold for life in exchange for infrequent computer tech support and tweaking (and I also built his box and sell him my downgrades for cheap). However, he is notorius for unistalling folding or stopping it in order to get me over there to be his computer tech slave. So now he's my folding slave. :D

The correct procedure for doing this is as followed:

01) Start
02) Run
03) Type "cmd" with no quotes
04) Hit enter
05) type "edit c:\progra~1\folding@home\client.cfg" with no quotes
06) Hit alt-S
07) Hit "R"
08) Type "rommelrommel" in the 'Find What' field.
09) Type "vonkaar" in the 'Replace With' field.
10) Hit alt-R
11) Hit alt-F
12) Hit alt-S
13) Hit alt-F
14) Hit alt-X
15) Reboot your computer.

For those that aren't named "rommelrommel", you can replace step 8 with this step:
08) Type "XXXXXXXX" in the 'Find What' field (Replace XXXXXX with your username).

This will ensure happy folding for many moons. I would like to thank the academy for allowing this post to bloom, and my mom for bringing me in to this world of song. Also, I am far cooler than you.

Aren't we the one-click team? You can create a shortcut on your desktop to C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe, and then just add stop FAH to the end of the target line. To make it more functional, you should copy that shortcut, and add start FAH in place of stop FAH (FAH is the name of the service on my computer).

You can get appropriate icons for the shortcuts by going into your FAH directory and selecting the FAH exe. You should then be able to select the FAH gear for your icon. I also had one that has a circle with a line through the gear that I use as the icon for the stop folding shortcut.

Here is the start shorcut I use, and this is the stop folding one..

With those two shortcuts on your desktop, you can start and stop folding with a simple double click. OF couse, you could always put them in the launch panel or in the start menu to be more accesable, but that's up to you.

Back