• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive size reading wrong.. help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Hey guys,
I just bought this 160GB Maxtor Hard drive and I did a fresh windows install on it and it says I have 26GB taken yet all I did was install windows and the windows folder alone is only 800MB. Any idea whats wrong? Thanks!

ok well I *think* I got the problem solved... according to maxtors site I need to install SP1 and the "big HD enabler" patch... Hhhmm I did both yet my hd still only reads at 130 :( anyone got any ideas?.. il have to mess around more tommorow.. for now its sleep time.

Last edited:
thanks for your help! heres what I did to get it to work: First I booted up the system with the old 40GB hd as master and the new 160GB as slave then ran the Maxtor Max Blast 3 software to set windows to read larger drives then had the software (which after a restart read the drive at the correct size) format the drive. Once done formatting I turned off the pc and disconnected the old HD and set the new as master and had windows install on the NTFS file system the software had put when formatting on the new hd. Once done installing I installed WINXPSP1 and the
"Larger Drive enabler" and all was fine. Thanks again for your help!

Back