• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something very interesting about heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodean

While I still remember this, I have to post this.

Earlier today, when I was preparing to reinstall this w2k, I unconnected my 4g seagate... And guess what I found? My PEP66T didn't have its fans connected! It's a wonder it hadn't died... I have no idea how long they had been unconnected, but my temps were showing 53.8C max. Now I've been folding for a couple of hours and the temps have stabilized at 50.8C, the max being 52.6C. Freaky, ehh?

I definitely agree. One possibility is that wires came of when I opened the case, but I had very many crashes before doing the aforementioned things, that it's a very remote possibility. I always turn the box off when it crashes, so there's no chance of anything getting fried or something nasty happening.

Maybe it has always reached a crashing point (temp) when it has locked up and when the box goes off, it cools down enough to start running again.

Don't know and the thing is unverifiable. Just taped the wires to the connect about a hour ago, they'll not get off anymore. :)

It causes me to wonder just how long your Alpha's fans haven't been running. The increase in reported CPU temps. could easily be accounted for with a rise in ambient temperature.

Freaky and lucky. I'm glad that we didn't have to hear another dead Socket-A processor story.. :)

T

Back