• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

athlon 750 @ 900. a cheap cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grafenberg

I have decided to build a cheap system to use to learn to overclock, but I don’t have a lot of money to spend. I’m buying an athlon 750MHz and my goal is to get it up to about 900MHz with an air-cooled system (fan and heatsink). What size setup should I expect to buy (suggestions please :) ). I plan to buy one of those cheap ($39) powercolor motherboards so you should have an idea of how small my budget is :) :).

Here is my setup:

PowerColor motherboard
Amd Athlon 750Mhz
512MB RAM

Thank you for any info :)

-g

Here's the best bang for buck I could find. Vantec FCE-62540D w/Delta 38cfm fan. $17 +$4.50 S/H. KD Computers.

Here's a link from a guy who review the Vantec running a Tbird 750 @ 900, just as you intend.

Good Luck

Hoot

Another thing to consider. If you don't want to end up frying your CPU, or at least want to have a stable system overclocked, you are better off investing a little extra on the HSF. Cooling for Athlons is not the place to skimp.

grafenberg (May 23, 2001 11:43 p.m.):
ooh! Good question... Anyone care to answer, or suggest another motherboard?

If you are lookiing to take a 750 to 900 I recommend an MSI K7T Pro2A. Full of o/c features but it is a KT133 board.

Thank you for the suggestion. The motherboard I planned to buy has Auto “CPU ratio setting”. Does this mean its an overclockable motherboard? The k7t proa board is about $80. I would have gotten the board, cpu, and memory for about $130. This puts it at about $170. You can see the powerColor motherboard here: http://210.66.3.2/web/product_inside.asp?prd_id=PVK7Motherboard

Thanks again,

-g

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the kx 133 chipset for slot-a athlon's, in which case he needs a gfd to overclock.

Graf, everybody is trying to be polite here, but please don't make your first OC endeavor a miserable one by buying a $39.00 motherboard. Like many hobbies, there is a certain price of admission. That motherboard sounds like a dissapointment waiting to happen. I'm just trying to be honest with you. Check some of the classifieds on the different OC pages and look for something a little better. Regardless of what you wind up going with, we'll be here for you, if and when you need help.

Hoot

grafenberg (May 23, 2001 09:40 p.m.):
I have decided to build a cheap system to use to learn to overclock, but I don’t have a lot of money to spend. I’m buying an athlon 750MHz and my goal is to get it up to about 900MHz with an air-cooled system (fan and heatsink). What size setup should I expect to buy (suggestions please :) ). I plan to buy one of those cheap ($39) powercolor motherboards so you should have an idea of how small my budget is :) :).

Here is my setup:

PowerColor motherboard
Amd Athlon 750Mhz
512MB RAM

Thank you for any info :)

-g

exactly that, a $39 mobo would be fine <maybe> for a stock setup...
but you'll be dissappointed overall.
check pricewatch.com for a barebones system.
compgeeks.com sells a few, and they're a good company.
basics: case, ATX w/300wt psu <a definite>
cdrom 40x, a floppy, kybd + mouse, some spkrs.
in a barebone kit, it'll just be Basic stuff, but it's a cost effective way to get what you need. i notice they had a kit with a S3 Savage4 vid card, and one with a DVD... those are perks worth considering, but read on...

then i'd suggest newegg.com for mobo's. i just bought my iwill there, cheapest price and awesome service.

far as chips go, why a slot? and in prices, why not Duron?
they are harder to cool, but O/C better IMO and cost less.

so i'd say no integrated mobo, find a KT133A chipset.
epox, abit, iwill, gigabyte, or asus are the only mfr's i'd consider personally.
just because i've heard many good things. Tekram was good to my K6-2 also.
next, buy a duron 700, less than $40, better than 750's for some reason
600's even better.. dont ask me why, i'm confused by it too.

now, get a globalwin hsk/fan. fop38 for the $24 seems unbeatable.
Vantec has a good one too, for a bit less... but i believe fop38 beats it.

video cards are cheap for a good one, i recommend a GeForce 32mb AGP
i'm real happy, and it can be O/C'd... onboard video will dissappoint. my vid was $70 but i think they're less now.

for all intents and purposes, 128-256mb PC133 is all you need for RAM.
i've read so much about this, i hafta believe it's true. you can save cash there.

sound, well.. the iwill boards have great onboard... this is the only onboard function i will accept on a rig. i guess if you go this route it'll save some cash.

i suppose if you just want a box, you can go with buying an all-in-one board adding a cpu and be all set, but it won't O/C and if something takes a crap on you.... you cant pull the card out and replace it. so lets say its the video...
well, you're pretty much gonna end up buying all that stuff mentioned above anyhow! my best advice to you, coming from one who is on a seriously low budget also, do it right the first time! don't waste alot or any cash, finding all this out the hard way.
because of reading, and advice from others.. i've never regretted a single purchase. but this could have easily gone the other way. a PCCHIPS combo mobo, proc, and everything all in one package for $80 sounds sweet!!! but think about it... how sweet can it be for that price? theres always a reason why cheap is cheap bro!
good luck to you!

Back