• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watch out when u tighten your wb, it cracked my core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

solo

i removed the IHS on my p4 wiht success

but when i mounted my cascade, it seems like i tightened it a little too much

well it was fine in the begining, but i guess i shouldn't have tighteened it anymore after

the corners are all chipped lol and there is this deep rut,

i will post pics tomorow

yeah so just watch out
i tkilled my 2.4c that did 3.6 @ 1.65

:(

yup
that means i have to buy a new cpu

adja;kj;ajsd

Why did you take the IHS off? Was there a specific reason or did you just want to snag that last bit of resistance out of there? A good lapping of the IHS should be almost as good as direct contact with the core, as it works as a heat spreader. I know that P4's have a bit of a concave on purpose from Intel. If you do take it off the next one you may want to measure the core to the substrate and make a custom shim so as not to crush it next time ;)

That sucks, but it's also why I like AMD, I could break 2 or 3 processors for the price of your 1.

Last edited:
ToolBox said:
Hmmm how would you lap the IHS? Same way you would lap a hs?
Pretty much. I lapped mine down to the copper and no temp difference. I took my IHS off and got a 4C drop in temps. In my thread about removing the IHS, I stress to be VERY careful when mounting a block. The core of the P4's is more fragile than the AMD's. I don't recommend doing it as you can see what happened to solo.

watch out when u tighten your wb, it cracked my core

The WB didnt crack the core m8, you did.

I did a similar thing to my chip. I wouldn't recommend removing the heat spreader, just lap it. If you don't have a shim...you're just playing with fire. Unless you get your chips for free.....:D .....than it's not worth it!

_Siph

hehe hyup
i cracked it :)

but ima see if i can scrape up some $
to get me a new chipppp

Sorry to hear you crushed your core Solo. I'm gonna have to get a shim for mine. It would be like playing Russian ruolette everytime I mount my block.

can anyone explain the purpose fo teh shim? besides protecting the core

it seems like it would hinder heat transfer

furthermore, where can i buy one :eek:

Back