• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 or AFX? Differences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Read
http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Lots of money and no dual channel memory access, different socket mobo. They're not out until next week and there is big speculation that Athlon 64 3200+ may not even be Paris core. I think it will be but only time will tell.

You need to buy new CPU, new mobo, new RAM for any Athlon 64 system. We're talking well over $500 for the three. Well over.

Last edited:
applebred are Bartons with half the cache stripped away.. the core is teh same size.. but the other cache is just disabled =d

Yep, its a TbredB grade CPU and the ClawHammer should actually be SledgeHammer. It got all the properties of the Sledge, the Claw is the Athlon64

OK. Let's find out and change it if it's wrong.
The Applebred column of the table used to be where the expected Thor(n)ton used to be for which mobo manufacturer's issued BIOS updates.

Nothing came of it so it was assumed in the beginning that everything is the same except the cache was even smaller for Applebred.

Here's why it's probably Barton:
The production of T-Breds will stop. Barton production will continue. Apllebred would be castrated Barton.

Provide links or start a new thread and we'll change it if it's T-Bred instead of Barton.

I fear we may end up with another "Barton is just a T-Bred with..." discussion though.

P.S. Yes, there is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 but we would be entering into "the only difference between Athlon XP and Athlon MP is that the L5 bridge is closed" waters.

The table is also a marketing table, not purely physical CPU table.

So you're saying that the applebred is a cut down thorton? because right now its a TbredB with 192KB L2 cache disabled, which can be reenabled by closing the cut L2 bridge.
About the Hammer, all I was saying is where it says ClawHammer should really be sledgehammer

c627627 said:
P.S. Yes, there is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 but we would be entering into "the only difference between Athlon XP and Athlon MP is that the L5 bridge is closed" waters.

I think you mean there's no difference between the Opteron and the 940pin AthlonFX(just trying to cut down on confusion).

To make it simple, the only difference between the Athlon64 and the AthlonFX is that the AFX will use dual channel memory, will require registered RAM(at first), and will be introduced at a higher clock speed. The Applebred is basically a T-bred/Barton with only 64kb L2 cache.

Great catch ]-[itman.
There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX (not Athlon 64 3xxx+).

What you're saying is that the Duron has 64 cache and is cut down T-Bred now, but when they run out of T-Breds, Duron will still be there but will be cut down Barton. Technically it would be a cut down CPU from either T-Bred or Barton leftover or specifically created parts then... (?)

Q is:
is Registered DIMM not required only for Socket 939 San Diego or for 64 3xxx+ as well? I thought that you needed registered RAM for 64 3xxx+ as well... (?)

You only need registered DIMMs for the Opterons, which are same as the FXs. I hope that for the 939pin chip you won't need the registered ram

c627627 said:
Great catch ]-[itman.
There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX (not Athlon 64 3xxx+).

What you're saying is that the Duron has 64 cache and is cut down T-Bred now, but when they run out of T-Breds, Duron will still be there but will be cut down Barton. Technically it would be a cut down CPU from either T-Bred or Barton leftover or specifically created parts then... (?)

Q is:
is Registered DIMM not required only for Socket 939 San Diego or for 64 3xxx+ as well? I thought that you needed registered RAM for 64 3xxx+ as well... (?)

Well, I don't think that at this point, no one knows for certain just what the Applebred core is from. The last thing I saw on the chip said that the core was a hybrid Thoroughbred and Barton, hence the name Thorton, but the name might just indicate a Barton core without the extra Barton cache.

As Coolest already pointed out, only the Opteron and the FX(which hopefully will only be until the 939 pin model comes out) require registered RAM, the A64 doesn't. The reason for this, many are speculating, is that AMD underestimated people's desires for dual channel memory, so when they saw the feedback, they decided to put out a consumer level, dual channel chip, but to get one out quickly, they just rebadged opterons as AFX's until they can get the independant AFX's going. That's also why many are hoping that when the new AFX's come out, they won't require registered RAM because they won't be rebadged opterons.

A lot of technology code names are based on a category. Windows codenames are all ski resorts in Washington state(i.e Whistler, Longhorn,)

I think intel processers names are waterfalls( i.e Willimette, Northwood)

Like you said Palimino, Thoroughbred, and Thorton are all horses.

Last edited:
You think Thorton was mispelled then too?
Ed Stroligo calls them Thorntons BTW.

They were never and will never be released so we'll never know unless you know someone in AMD project development.

Back