• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 & Wire Trick for higer multipliers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxPN

Hi guys!
I'm going to get a Barton 2500 to use on my MSI KT3 Ultra2. I know that my MB doesn't unlock the higher multipliers (13 and above) with this CPU. I need those because I cannot use 200FSB for obvious reasons..
I've been looking for a detailed schematic of the wire trick to unlock higher multipliers, but I couldn't find it.
Can anybody here help me out ;) ? Thank s.

Max

Thank you for the quick reply. I read through the post and followed the links posted, but I wasn't able to find the answer to my question.

What I'm looking for is the exact mapping of the pins I need to "short" on the socket 462 to make my MoBo think that the default multi of the Barton 2500 is not 11, but 13 or greater, so I'll be able to select the hi range from the BIOS.

[UPDATE]
I checked the link again and I think I have to short the ping AJ27 and AH26 to switch from low multis to hi multi. Is this correct? Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.

Max

Last edited:
MaxPN said:
Thank you for the quick reply. I read through the post and followed the links posted, but I wasn't able to find the answer to my question.

What I'm looking for is the exact mapping of the pins I need to "short" on the socket 462 to make my MoBo think that the default multi of the Barton 2500 is not 11, but 13 or greater, so I'll be able to select the hi range from the BIOS.

[UPDATE]
I checked the link again and I think I have to short the ping AJ27 and AH26 to switch from low multis to hi multi. Is this correct? Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.

Max

AJ27 to AH26 will set the 8X Bit Value bit HI, but since original default = 11X = all 5 bits LO, the new default will be LO-LO-LO-LO-HI = 3X which is a mobile Power Now battery saving setting which desktop cpus do not boot. So you may have to get into the bios "before" the system hangs to make any other "desktop valid" settings. If that doesn't work, then you'd also have to apply a fine wire jumper to the 2X Bit Value signal circuit. That plus the 8X bit set HI sets 13X.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Workarounds article which discusses this issue and has detailed info for locating all 5 Multiplier pins/sockets (including the 2X circuit) plus nearby Vcore and Ground pins/sockets...and also has a Table of Muiltiplier settings...all you need to understand AMD's Multiplier code and to work on mods.

But also note that when you jumper any signal circuit with a "direct connection" to Vcore or Ground (setting a HI or LO), those circuits cannot be reset back to a LO or a HI...they become in essence "locked". So you would not be able to reset the 2X and 8X bits to LO again...even using the bios. This means you would be able to set 13X, 13.5X, 14X, and 21X which is 14.5X remapped, but 15X which has only 8X + 4X bits HI will get you 17X because the "directly connected/jumpered" 2X bit would remain HI even though the bios would be trying to set it LO as required for 15X

That's the way it is...we are only the messenger. Read the article to learn the code and their signal circuits. Good luck.
John C.

John C.: to the best of your knowledge, are Abit and Soltek the only nForce2's that post all multi's without the wire trick?

How about 2100+ posting all multipliers on Epox nForce2 but 1700+ only the lower half, is it due to the fact that 2100+'s default multi is above 12.5?

c627627 said:
John C.: to the best of your knowledge, are Abit and Soltek the only nForce2's that post all multi's without the wire trick?

How about 2100+ posting all multipliers on Epox nForce2 but 1700+ only the lower half, is it due to the fact that 2100+'s default multi is above 12.5?

Re Abit and Soltek:- We are not as knowledgeable about particular mobos and their oc'g capabilities as we are about AMD's Multiplier code. Others will have to answer that question.

Re Epox:- We do not understand why the Epox should be able to toggle the 8X bit from HI to LO in the case of running the default 13X 2100+ at 12.5X and lower, but not be able to toggle that same bit/Multiplier signal circuit in the case of running the default 11X 1700+ at 13X and higher. Believe if it can do the one it should be able to do the other. Are you sure it's the fault of the Epox, or could it possibly be too high of an oc in the case of the 1700+??
John C.

John C.: Thanks for the opinions.

I have two rev. 1.1 Epox 8RDA+ nForce 2 boards.

One with 2100+ B which can select and post all multipliers with appropriate FSB.

The other with 1700+ B which can select but not post any higher multiplier with any FSB whatsoever but can post 12.5 and lower multi.

They are the same revision boards but I suppose in theory one could be different from the other and the one that could post all multis on 2100+ could perhaps post all multis on the 1700+ as well even though the other board with the same revision could not.

I take it you would find it unlikely that a board can post all multis on CPU with higher default multi but not on the CPU with lower default multiplier.

Sure enough the higher multipliers don't work with my 1800 on my 8RDA+. They did when my 2100+ was installed though. With the 2100 they all were available.

Thanks brennan77 for that confirmation.

So 2100+ B with its above 12.5 default multiplier is the chip to get for people who need all multipliers (without the wire trick) and own nForce2's other than Abit or Soltek.

Thanks again, although it is questionable if this is the case for nForce2's other than Epox.

Back