• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athelon 1.4Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tillius

I'm deciding which CPU to get between AMD 1.4, 1.33, 1.2, 1.13, and 1 Ghz - 266 FSB. Which is the better buy and will likely give me the most performance overclocked? Also, any recommendations on OC mb's with those cpu's?

I'd say a 1.4 ghz would as long as it has the newest CPU code AYHJA which it should. As for motherboard I would recommened Iwill KK266 or KK266R, depending on whether or not you want the motherboard to support RAID.

Aaron

Aman99 (Jun 02, 2001 10:20 a.m.):
I'd say a 1.4 ghz would as long as it has the newest CPU code AYHJA which it should. As for motherboard I would recommened Iwill KK266 or KK266R, depending on whether or not you want the motherboard to support RAID.

Aaron

True the 1.4 Ghz with the AYHJA code would give the best overclock, it comes with a hefty price tag, for now IMHO the AXIA 1GHz 266 is the best bang for the buck and are proven good overclockers. I also am partial to the iWill boards and have had good results with mine. I would recommend the iWill and the 1ghz 266 for the best performance to cost ratio.
Randy

I'm waiting on a guy to buy my PIII 800 and Abit BE6-II, Along with possibly my ram and harddrive as well. If it happens I will be installing everything for him and should get a little bit more then what I need to buy a new hardware.

KT7A Raid
T-bird 1.4gig
Corsair PC150 cas 2 ram
Maxtor 20gig ATA 100 7200rpm
All this along with the rest of my hardware below. It should move along pretty good!

With my watercooling I should be able to overclock the hell out of that chip. All I need is to make some sort of bracket to mount my waterblock on that board. Which wont be a problem. It's a slot 1 PIII waterblock but I shouldnt have any problems. I'll only be using this block anyway for a little while untill I get around to ordering a DDmaze.

I do have an extra waterblock lying around. I may even use my tec to make a chiller. Not sure yet but I might.

Man I cant wait!

I say get the 1.2. If you want to do raid, get the Abit kt-7A raid. The raid controller is alot better than the one on the Iwill board.

I say stick it out for a month and get the 1.4 AYHJA with the new ABIT KG7-R when it hits shelves. Hell, crucial 2100DDR CAS2 RAM goes for the exact same price as the SDRAM right now and would be an absolute bargain. There's my 2 cents.

I have a 1.0G/266 AXIA and it is an excellent overclocker. I have the means to buy a 1.4G, but with the 1.0G approaching 1.6G, I am content to wait for the desktop Palamino. The cores on the 1.0, 1.2, 1.3/1.33 and most likely the 1.4 are the same. Any of the above CPUs will do 1.5G with a good PSU, Mobo, Ram and a well implemented cooling solution.

Hoot

Hoot (Jun 03, 2001 10:24 p.m.):
I have a 1.0G/266 AXIA and it is an excellent overclocker. I have the means to buy a 1.4G, but with the 1.0G approaching 1.6G, I am content to wait for the desktop Palamino. The cores on the 1.0, 1.2, 1.3/1.33 and most likely the 1.4 are the same. Any of the above CPUs will do 1.5G with a good PSU, Mobo, Ram and a well implemented cooling solution.

Hoot
Hi Hoot,

I looked at your article for cooling and copied it to some extend. I just used a normal fan with a "pipe" make of carton on it focussed on the CPU, I used 92 mm fan and kept the Delta. 30C idle and 35C under load. Your idea of feeding the CPU cold air from outside the box works great!! By the way some else is now at 33.3 sec for MathMark. A 1.4 Ghz @ 1.64 Ghz was used!

I'm using a 1.33 T-Bird and was not able to break 1.6, so if you dont have anything yet and the price difference between the 1.4 and 1.3 or 1.2 is not too bad go for the 1.4. Just make sure you invest in a very good cooling system for the 1.4 if you want to o/c. My 1.3 ran at 52C idle with coolermaster HSF with no o/c. I now run at 1.46 with a temp of 35C at load. I use a FIC AD11 mobo. It's got lots of settings for multiplier, core voltage and FSB, but I found it's not very stable when you go beyond 138 MHz FSB. So I think there are better mobo's for o/c.

Back